curley q anemone

fditty

does a curly q anemone need good light to survive? it said they eat meaty food also. if i dont have good light (only 80watts 90 gallon tank) will it survive?

buzz

From cautiouscoral...according to this, they are usually found in murky waters. That being the case, I wouldn't expect they need strong lighting.

[hr]
The Curly-cue anemone (Bartholomea annualata) is clear brown, gray, or pale blue with white bands on the tentacles. It is often long an stringy, and of course curly (hence its name).
Bartholomea annualata is similar to Aiptasia, but this species is significantly larger in size, and has numerous swollen bands on the tentacles. Capnea lucida is similar but it has bead-like vessicles on the tentacles.
Bartholomea annualata is not an anemone that hosts fish. Does not sting fish too much.
Rarely found in coral reefs due to its natural (muddy and cloudy) environment and extensive needs for macro algae, however some have been seen under rocks in the reefs.
Honestly, you should not see this species in any store because it is naturally found in murky, muddy, and grass full water. It can survive in a reef tank, but length of survival is probably minimal.

carrie1429

Curli-q are very hardy and don't require a lot of light. I got mine about 3 months ago and it has grown more than half its size and my lighitng that I have now isn't that great. Although not a very pretty anemone IMO, they are very easy to keep.

sheree

My curly-q was a very hardy, very attractive species to have,,,BUT...when I made the mistake of placing it too near my large toadstool , the tentacles stretched out longer then expected one day, and just barely tickled the bottom(circled) of the toadstool.....stung the bejeesus out of it. It started rotting where it was stung 2 days later....had to cut the affected piece off-seperating the 2 heads in the pic. Both pieces are fine now, but the curlys have a powerful sting. Mine has been removed.
Just my experience--HTH