CUTTING A HOLE IN PLEXIGLASS

porkypuffer

IS A HOLESAW A GOOD WAY TO CUT A 1 3/4" HOLE IN A PIECE OF 3/16 PLEXIGLASS? COARSE OF FINE TEETH OR DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE? ALL SUGESTIONS WELCOME.

fish&chips

I recently drilled several holes of various sizes for my new acrylic tank and sump w/ no problems. Try to get the finest (more teeth per inch) that you can for the size hole/bit you need. If possible, clamp a board on the "backside" of where you will be drilling; this will help keep shards of plexiglass from breaking off. Also, the heat from the bit can melt the plastic as you are drilling...don't panic as this can easily be filed off (sometimes you can just snap off the excess with your fingers) after you have drilled through.
And as mentioned don't put "too" much pressure on the drill...let the bit/drill do the work. If you drill too slow, however, there' more chance of chipping as you cut through to the other side. If you drill fast then there's more liklihood of melting. I practiced on a scrap piece before drilling my tanks to judge the best speed. I tend to drill faster and get a little bit of melting as this results in a much cleaner hole, but the sight of melting plastic can be a bit disconcerting...what is melting is the shavings being cut out.
Also, drill a small pilot hole (1/8") first before using the larger hole saw.
Hope thsi helps.
[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Fish&Chips ]
[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Fish&Chips ]