Cyanide fish capture?

biggdriver

I was greatly in this hobby for 7yrs and had a break from it for a while..NOw that I have gotten back into it does anyone know if fish are still being cyanide captured or is this banned ..It was a very big topic 7yrs or so ago...Mostly in the Phillipines..What is the best way to tell of cyanide caught fish..something withthe sunken in belly or backbone...?? Beside asking your lfs where and how the fish they stock are caught...Believe me they probably don't know I sold fish for over 6 yrs..Is this still considered ok in the fish collectors eyes or has there (hopefully) been a turnaround to net caught fish>

ocellaris_keeper

unfortunately it still is happening. Most of the bicolored angels and other favorites from India and the Phillipines are still captured this way

fshhub

some places still practice it's use, the best thing is to ask, most places that sell fish where this practice is not used, know it, they either buy tank raised, or their suppliers brag it (when it is not used), i will admit that alot of clerks don't have a clue, but the owner can find out if they want someones business

biggdriver

Ok unfortunately if that's the case people should boycott them or the people that sell them..We are basically shooting our own foot by buying cyanide caught fish..Is there a good site out there that guarranties "net caught" fish..and how can you tell if the they are cyanide caught....Besides the weight loss and loss of appetite?

jakob4001

hmmm, that kind of falls under that ethics question posted earlier; selective site/turn a blind eye or something like that; being as you stated you used to sell fish, would think that means that you know for the most part, most stock is wild caught and therefore takes away from the environment anyways; have read both sides of the debate on cyanide capture; some peops feel it dispurses quickly anyways, calms the fish, lessens net capture stress; but TANK RAISED, AQUACULTURED, and CAPTIVE-FRAGGED are becoming little more common place slowly...LOL some LFS will tell ANYTHING they think you want to hear to get that $$$

josh

Hi,
I was on Reefcentral about 2 weeks ago and we were discussing this very thing. There were two guys who were from the Phillipines and were talking about the cyanide practices that are still ongoing. Sad, but he said that this was the only way these folks could make a living. While I won't justify doing it, it was interesting to hear a different viewpoint. Having said that I always ask if the fish and corals I buy were farmed or taken from the ocean. If they weren't farmed, then I pass.
josh

fshhub

jakob, i do agree that they want the sale, but a semi responsible mgr. or owner won't take that chance(IMO), because it is ILLEGAL, it is called misrepresentaion(i believe) you cannot knowingly mis represent your products, i will agree that some people will say what are they gonna do, but a semi responsible person(with something to loose) will take it as that and follow the law, this is not just a 50$ fine we are referring to here, i belive it falls under fraud somewhere

jakob4001

boy fshhub, if you believe that, I got some ocean front property to sell ya, has the largest coraline LR available year-round even... :cool:
um actually, most simply don't know...boy ***** would be in some major trouble; wonder if I could get on one of those billion $$$ suits over mental aghuish 'cuz LFS misinformed me; or that 1 gal that form LFS that suggest shark happily kept in 50 gallon tank

fshhub

LOL believe i said you cannot KNOWINGLY mislead your products(to make a sale) legally, and if you want to knowingly mislead me into a sale of oceanfront property, LOL, real estate is another thing governed under those same laws(ask a lawyer or r.e. agent); the shark would live just not as long or well(if she even knew) in a 55 gallon(i would never do this), you hear terms alot in retail like i believe and you should be able or even "IF", these are a managers way of telling you either they don't know or under certain conditions......, jsut to cover their @$$
i'll grant you people do err and some will even outright lie, but it is still illegal
here again, are you sure that you are buying aquacultured, if so why?, they could also be lying,but you asked them outright and they were obligated to tell you(same case)
i am neither naive nor stupid by far(in fact i am a very cautious and aware consumer), jsut a poor typist, LOL

davidcanupp

Biggdriver: I am glad to hear you're concern about cyanide-caught fish. I recently read a chapter in The Conscientious Marine Aquarist that deals with this very problem. I cannot express the degree of anger that I felt after discovering the truth behind cyanide catching. It is a destructive practice in that it destroys the entire reef environment, not just the fish that it is used on. Fish exposed to the chemical cyanide (oh yeah, they commonly mix it with gasoline) almost always pass out on the spot, some recover later in an oxygen starved, cold, shaky, plastic bag on the way to the lfs. Others die immediately. Once released into the water, cyanide doesn't discriminate: it destroys delicate corals, other invertebrates such as crabs, and is unintentionally ingested by commercially caught fish (grouper, flounder, etc). Yeah, the ones that we eat...that couldn't be healthy.
According to the book, written by Robert Fenner, the chemicals have left many reefs barren, drab conglomerations of calcium coral skeletons and piles of dead fish. I don't doubt that in the least. We as fish keepers (who care a great deal for the future of the reefs) must stand up against this shocking misuse of the environment. Just because we don't see it happen or hear about it every day on the news doesn't mean that It is not happening.
Advocates of cyanide fishing cling to this deplorable practice because it saves them a buck or two. "Come on," they might say, "it's only a fish." These people represent the lowest form of life in the world: they are ruthless money glutton's that care for no one else. We must not place all of the blame on the people of the Phillipines who collect these fish, rather we should look to the large companies that pay them for illegally aquired fish. Also, this practice is illegal in the Phillipines, but it still happens. This must be stopped.
Sorry for the long post, but this is no matter that can be summed up in a sentence or two. In fact, this post is far too short to express the incredible weight of this issue. We, as informed saltwater fishkeepers, are the number one ally for the defenseless fish. There is the possibility of keeping fish ethically: in fact, our successes in this hobby can play a huge role in restocking the reefs that these terrible money hogs have depleted. Obviously, i feel very strongly about this issue, and i hope others do as well. We must scrutinize our distributors, our government, and our peers to solve this paramount issue. Start by serious inquiries into the fish sellers reputation. Don't buy fish from the Phillipines if you can avoid it. Secondly, write your representatives and senators, on the state and especially the national level. We must all remember that this wonderful American government is "of the people, by the people, and FOR THE PEOPLE." Use this incredible resource to rectify the problem at hand. Visit the federal government's website for details on how to help : <a href="http://www.coral.org" target="_blank">www.coral.org</a> (the coral reef task force). Lastly, spread the word to your fellow aquarists! Tell them of these unsightly practices. We must always remember that if we do not like the way that the world works, we should not sit idly by, we should do our damnedest to change it for the better!
Thank you for reading this very important post - David