cyano trying to take over the fuge

saltn00b

i have grown lots of cheato in my fuge in the last 18 months or so. harvested a good number of times. about 5-6 months ago i noticed that the cheato seemed to have really slowed its growth rate and the cyano is growing very quickly on the top layer / surface. i keep these lit with a fluorescent swirly 24/7.
any ideas? general flow is ~700 gph flowing though to my return. and my skimmer output for extra churning, powered by a rio 3100

reefkprz

increase flow in the fuge itself with a small powerhead. add mechanical filtration before the fuge section. often times cyano begins where detritus is setteling. if its setteling in your fuge it will end up feeding a bloom throughout your tank. getting rid of the detritus is the most expidient method generally.
just some thoughts

saltn00b

the skimmer's 3100 is in the section just before the fuge. the skimmers outlet is then piped into the fuge and acting like a powerhead.
i once had an extra little rio 400 or similar in there as well, but it quickly got strangled by the growing cheato.

aquaknight

Turn the sump lights off for 48 hours. Chaeto can go quite sometime without light. The cyano, however, can't. Should wipe the fuge clean of cyano,

saltn00b

i just moved the tank a month ago. when i moved it, i did the 3 day routine with the sump for the first time. all cyano was gone, but now it is back with a vengeance.

snail

Try putting new bulbs in. As lights get older the wavelengths of the output get longer.

natclanwy

I had that problem in my fuge for a while and I started harvesting the cyano by removing the chaeto and rinsing as much cyano off of it as I could then I used a net to scoop any remaining cyano in my fuge out and it went away completely within a week or so this method has been effective in my DT also not sure why it works but its worth a shot.