cyano

fishnrugby

how do i get rid of cyano algae and hair algae? the tank is 90 gallons and it started to show up 3 weeks ago and now its everywhere.

psusocr1

do a search on cyano you will find alot of ways.. theres cyano remover,, or you can cut your lighting back , cut your feedings back get phospates out of your tank and the list goes on.. first you should find out why your getting the bacteria then make the right decision on how to get rid of it according to your source..

garnet13aj

Increase flow. If it's a new tank, it is probably just one of the typical stages the tank goes through. For me, increased flow did the trick....

rocksalt

I have the same issue. Increased flow, watch the amount of time lights remain on and consistent water changes seem to be the trick. Once it is on the rocks it will very quickly start to take over. I have a 90 cal reef. In the past I have had to take the rocks and very lightly scrub (watch for marine life like mushrooms, feather dusters and the like) in a bucket of salt water using a baby tooth brush. The softer the better. The hard part was transferring the rock. I took a container and submersed it in my tank. Placed the rock inside while submerged then moved it to my bucket all the while keeping it under the water. Some say it's ok to expose to air for a few moments but I decided to err on the side of caution. I use a soft tooth brush as it is nearly impossible to get all the junk out of all the nooks and crannies. Once most of it is scrubbed off I reverse the transfer processes back to the main tank. This way there isn't a bunch of gunk floating around clogging my filtration.