Cyanobacteria

lakeman70

I have small patches of cyanobacteria that pop up from time to time. What are the best clean up crew for this??????

T

thomas712

Instead of looking for a cleanup crew to take care of it, why not look for the cause of it?
What Makes Red Slime Algae Grow?
Nutrients that come in the form of nitrates, which are produced from DOCs (Dissolved Organic Compounds).
DOCs are produced from excess broken down organics, such as from detritus, uneaten foods, and decomposing plant and animal matter.
Phosphates and silicates are other nutrient sources to take into consideration.
Providing too much or the wrong spectrum of light. It seems that red slime algae grows best in the 555-564 nm (manometer) wavelength.
Solutions?
Start with one solution and see what results you get, and if that one doesn't work, try another one, and so on, until the problem is resolved.
Adjust or change the type and/or duration of light being provided.
Red slime algae prefers the low water flow areas in an aquarium. These low flow or calmer water areas are prime spots for it to get started and take hold. Improve aquarium water circulation by adding a powerhead or two, depending on the size of the aquarium, or a wavemaker or surge device.
Eliminate the algae's food supply by controlling DOCs, nitrates, phosphates and/or silicates. The most effective way to get rid of excess nutrients is to reduce the cause of them. This can be accomplished by cutting back on feedings, siphon up detritus and uneaten foods off the bottom of the tank regularly, and by adding a protein skimmer.
You can try using an additive to "cure" the problem, such as with Aquarium Instruments Ultralife Red Algae Remover as one example. However, many of these types of treatments appear to only solve the "symptom" (red slime algae) of an underlying problem. Cyanobacteria are a form of bacteria, and many of the additives currently in use are antibiotics, which are medications that can weaken or totally wipe out the biological filter base of an aquarium. Use these types of treatments cautiously!
Luckily, this algae does not attach well and can be siphoned out of the aquarium to help prevent the spread of this nuisance, while you determine and correct the cause of the problem.
Just another case of cut and paste
Thomas

T

thomas712

Depends on whether I'm feeling long winded or not, if not I'll do a little cut and paste but will at least tell the person. Heck I'd give out more links if I could but we are all handcuffed there.
Nah I'll take credit if it comes out of my own mouth, or the critisizim.
The cyno question is easy enough to answer but I like how these people put it better.
Thomas

entice59

i have tried bumble bee snails, turbo snails, blue/red leg hermits would work but didnt work for me, its either a hit or miss when it comes to inverts and cyno, it basically got worse until i did weekly water changes 5-10% and stoped feeding twice/three times a day. I did this for a month and it lowered the cyno growth until it was gone. They say try adding some more current there, didnt seem to help for me.The macro algae i have in the tank seemed to help fight against it and during that time the algae would grow as crazy as the cyno. I would go against using medication also. Try weekly water changes, and you might experince results in afew weeks, shortcuts tend to have their negative effects and are more fustrating in the end
if you are even thinking of adding macro algae to your tank, i would go against it because once its there, its will never be gone because the roots are attached to the rock, look at my tank when i had cyno
also try using Reverse Osmosis water during these weekly waterchanges, you do not have to get RO water from the LFS, albertsons/safeway/k-mart should have those vending machines and should cost roughly 35 cents per gallon, keep those milk jugs