cycle dosing?

brettmc

I was talking to my LFS about some LR and the stuff they had in their tanks did not have much coralline growth on it, and he said during your cycle you'll need to dose with some calcium and some stuff called purple up which would make my coralline all come out. I've never heard of dosing during a cycle but maybe I just haven't been paying attention very well. Anyone else heard of this? Is it necessary?

stanlalee

All you really need to do for coralline growth if you already have a little is keep calcium within normal range (400-440ppm), decent lighting (3+ watts per gallon) and time. If your tank is just cycling the calcium level should be at whatever the salt mix concentration is (which is usually between 340-440ppm). with no calcium depleting livestock there is no need to dose calcium on a new tank. thru regular water changes you should be able to maintain the proper range (400-440ppm). If you are using instant ocean you may have to dose to get it in that range. For liverock coralline growth I have heard of dosing strotium. I still dont really know what exacly purple up is besides calcium and aragonite dust. I know its not needed.
Before worrying about coralline I'd just worry about completing the cycle and getting some livestock.