Cycle with Squid?

b_ball12_99

I know about cycling with raw shrimp but since I just came back from vacation where I went fishing with squid and brought it home for my hermits and cc starfish can I use a piece of the squid to cycle my 75 gallon?

nm reef

if shrimp rots and creates ammonia...don't see why squid wouldn't....either way ya save yourself the damn damsels..........

I think the idea is to put something dead in the tank that your bacteria can break down. Squid qualifies as something dead... unless it's alive, in which case, you can cycle with it... :D
Squid tank... hmmm????

b_ball12_99

Thanks guys/girls, my thought exactly. Think I'll use it since the squid is big enough to get me some very nice bacteria going. And its dead by the way, lol.

burnnspy

With all due respect, That is a very basic question from someone who spends so much time answering questions on this BB.
BurnNSpy

krazzydart

remember you need to feed the critters in the tank to keep it cycling... to break down waste produts is the main goal....

b_ball12_99

Originally posted by BurnNSpy:
<STRONG>With all due respect, That is a very basic question from someone who spends so much time answering questions on this BB.
BurnNSpy</STRONG>
I was just making sure, after all shrimp seems a little more meaty while squid is more slimy like an oyster. Didn't know if they might decay differently.