cycle

harleydude

I started a 40 gallon tank w/ dead and live sand combo 50%/ 50% and 7 lbs of live rock w/ ~ 15 lbs of dead rock. I even bought the h2O from the store as I didnt want to mix my first aquarium. Anyway, I guess I should be monitoring the "cycle" but I have not. I am on day 9 with no light a I was told this was best.
I can take some h2O in to be tested tomorrow, what should I find; what did i miss and when should I check it again as to watch the "cycle"?
TIA
Harley

teen

the guy who tests ur water should tell u what is to high/low and can give u adiitives or buffers to adjust ur levels. just ask and he should tell u what to do next

salty cheese

Welcome to the board Harleydude
What you really should do is buy a test kit, the ones at the lfs aren't always the best IMO.
What you are looking for is your ammonia to spike followed by your nitrites followed by your nitrates. Once the ammonia and nitrites are 0 and your nitrates down to around 20 IMO you can add your cleanup crew, and after a week add 1 fish.

jcarroll

if you're just starting a cycle though, do not add anything to it to adjust your levels. The levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate will all spike and when they all go back down to zero (Nitrate will be just a little elevated) then you'll know your tank is cycled and ready for your cleaning crew. The only time you want to mess with chemicals during your cycle is if your pH is too low then you can get a pH buffer from your lfs to get it up to between 8.2 and 8.4.
Put a fresh, peeled cocktail shrimp in your aquarium to start the cycle with some live rock and your choice of cc or ls.
Good luck!

rubberduck

WELCOME TO VAST KNOLEDGE
yes wait for the ammonia to spike and then wait for all nitrates ammonia and nitrites to be at 0

salty cheese

Originally posted by teen
the guy who tests ur water should tell u what is to high/low and can give u adiitives or buffers to adjust ur levels. just ask and he should tell u what to do next

Not flamming you teen but the people at lfs don't always know what they're talking about, and it would behoove you to know and understand your tanks water chemistry.

teen

ya i know, ive had problems with lots of those guys but they can give him the basic needs and maybe pick up a book on what to do next. they can give him a basic understanding on what to do. im not saying do exactly what they say, but i know what u mean