Cycling Help

brendac

Im filling my 125g up with RO water in a few days. I would like to know after I fill it up and start my filter Is there anything that I need to add to the water... Like a Conditioner or anything before allowing it to run its cycle?? Also should I add the powerhead and heater while this tank is cycling??

moby

Hi BrendaC,
Is this a salt water aquarium?
Sorry but you didn't mention salt mix so I had to ask.
If you are using RO water then , no, water conditioner is not necessary.
Also should I add the powerhead and heater while this tank is cycling??
Yes, this will help you have time to adjust everything to the right parameters.
What are you cycling the tank with? LR?
Moby

dmjordan

Like moby said above, you do not need to add conditioner to RO water.
Set up your tanks equipment (filters, powerheads, heater, etc...) so they can be running during your tanks cycle. Don't plug anything in though until your tank is full of saltwater.
Use LR to cycle your tank or a raw shrimp.

brendac

Yes its saltwater. Im cycling it with live rock. But I want to add live rock along the way... Can I keep buying live rock now and then and just add it in long after it has cycled? Or must everything be added at once befor it starts to cycle?

moby

Is this LR cured or uncured?
This makes a BIG difference.
Generally, adding live rock at intervals will prolong the cycle time. It is better if you are able to put in all LR at one time.
Can I keep buying live rock now and then and just add it in long after it has cycled?
Yes, but in small quanities to avoid a "mini" cycle.
Moby

dmjordan

You can add LR after your tank has cycled but you need to buy from your LFS display tank. That way you know it is fully cured.