Cycling Help/?

hawaii50

I have a 55gal with a CPR Backpak 2 and a Fluval 404. 30lbs of live rock and a good 3inch bed. I started the tank on 6/22 on 6/24 I added 2 damsels. I know I should have used the shrimp. My water quality levals are as follows. PH 8.2, Ammonia .50ppm, Nitrate10ppm and Nitrite .50ppm. It has been like this since about the fifth day of running. I have seen no real change at all with any readings. Where in the cycle do you think I am? I also used a 30lb bag of live sand and some Bacter Vidal at start. I guess I am worried I dont see a Ammonia spike/any change in it at all. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks in advance

tlk

I agree with jwtrojan44, I wouldn't do a water change yet. You will prolong your cycle.

hawaii50

I will shut off skimmer for now. I am getting some tea looking liquid in there . Any idea what that might be? Because isnt protein more of a heavy liquid? Thanks

beaslbob

I think you will find that if you stop feeding the fish, ammonia and nitrItes will drop to 0.0 in about two days. I have had to stop feeding fish during an initial cycle for up to a week. The fish will survive and the bacterial will catch up with the bioload. By feeding the fish you have not let that happen.

hawaii50

I have stopped feeding them and shut off skimmer and I will see what happens. I apreciate everyones help. Thanks