Cycling Process

b_slate

I started my first saltwater tank just 4 days ago. I bought 6 damsels to start the cycling process and introduced them to the tank today. I know that the next step is to watch the ammonia levels but I am not sure where I go from here...
Is it okay to add live rock during or after the cycle?

rickd

Originally Posted by b_slate
I started my first saltwater tank just 4 days ago. I bought 6 damsels to start the cycling process and introduced them to the tank today. I know that the next step is to watch the ammonia levels but I am not sure where I go from here...
Is it okay to add live rock during or after the cycle?

Yes
What do you have in the tank now 6 damsels and water?
What size tank?
You need to monitor Nitrates, nitrites, PH, SG, Temp, Calicium, Alk, and the list moves on im no pro but Read alot.

feixjai

i personally like puting in the live rock first but i dont think it matters. not just the ammonia but the nitrate, nitrite, ph, and sg

b_slate

It is a 55 gallon tank. I know I have a lot of questions, but this is my first tank. I have always had freshwater fish, and hell you can just pitch them in the water and go on with it!
Once amonia gets going, does is get broken down into Nitrites and then into Nitrates?
Are the Nitrates harmful to the fish?
What causes PH and Alkalinity to go up or down?
Can high Alkalinity be harmful to the fish?
I have been checking my SG and my Salinity and it seems to still be slowly going up... Should this be happening? It has been 4 days since adding the salt to the water.

clownme

As many of the pros on this site recommend, you should probably get a book that can help you.
They recommend the "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist": A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists by Robert M. Fenner
or
"The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide" by Michael S. Paletta
I would recommend a good book and a lot of patience and you should be successful

Best of Luck

clownme

Also research some of the forums by doing a search for your topic, there is SOOOOOO much useful info here!

ricks280

b slate. put the hand brake on.
many would agree that cycling your tank with fish is not fair on them!
you can achive the same with a green dead shrimp from your local supermarket (food store) i would have filled the tank with saltwater let it rech temp. check sg (1024-1025) than rock than sand, and than the shrimp. check for ammonia nitrite and nitrate and add one fish at the time untill the tank eviroment matures( jmi)rick.

bchdfldian

Most of those fish won't live past the ammonia spike. I use to do freshwater tanks, too. But even freshwater tanks have to cycle.
The "throw in damsels at the beginning of the cycle" method is now unpopular because it kills fish (and throws away your money). There are more effective ways of cycling. However, I found in the past that the damsels worked pretty fast :p
There's my both-sided answer.

hot883

Originally Posted by ricks280
b slate. put the hand brake on.
many would agree that cycling your tank with fish is not fair on them!
you can achive the same with a green dead shrimp from your local supermarket (food store) i would have filled the tank with saltwater let it rech temp. check sg (1024-1025) than rock than sand, and than the shrimp. check for ammonia nitrite and nitrate and add one fish at the time untill the tank eviroment matures( jmi)rick.

bslate, I have to agree here! STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO (in my opinion) you need to see if the LFS (local fish store) will take back those damsels. If the LFS is the one that told you to cycle a 55 with the six fish then definately I WOULD NEVER go back there. This is a wonderful hobby and a very expensive one. If they sold you six fish then they know they will get more of your business and money. Get your money back, and BUY a book, do ALOT of research. This is not freshwaer. Please don't take it the wrong way. I'm not being an "A" hole, just trying to help you out. Do asearch on "cyclying" a tank and see how it is done with a raw shrimp as stated above. Good luck and ask questions here.

S

sinner's girl

Once amonia gets going, does is get broken down into Nitrites and then into Nitrates?
Yes, when am and nirtrites are zero, teh cycle is over. Do a water change.
Are the Nitrates harmful to the fish?
Yes, so are am. That's why you shouldn't cycle with fish! It's cruel and mean. Though damsels are hardy, you may lose a few. Once your tank is cycled, try to keep nitrates under 20.
Can high Alkalinity be harmful to the fish?
Yes. High or low alkalinity and ph is harmful.
If your sg is getting higher, then either your addind saltwater as top off water, or you're not adding top off water. Water evaborts from the tank, use fresh water to replace this water. When the water leaves the tank, the salt stays,
giving you a higher salinity level.
Welcome to the site, sit back and read. There are MANY threads on this. Check this forum https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14 . Archives & FAQ. And this thread, Forum Advice for New Hobbyists
Ask before buying, and don't listen to your lfs.

nomad

The reason cycling with live fish is cruel is because ammonia and nitrites burn their gills. When their gills get too burnt the fish die of suffocation. This is a long, drawn out and painful way to die and, if by some happenstance, a fish doesn't die it will be left with scarred and impaired gills. Imagine that this was happening to your lungs. It is much kinder, not to mention, much cheaper to use a raw cocktail shrimp to cycle your tank.

b_slate

Okay..... The fish are back to the pet store and I now have 3 medium size cocktail shrimp in the tank. I didn't realize how harmful this cycle process was to the fish until now. I have been reading a lot of articles today and agree that it should not be cycled with live fish.

djcanis

good move, I like yoursself am new and have been robbed by bad advice from the local fish shop. # months and my tank is still f-ed up thanks $ hungry pe stores. Read everything you can and GO SLOW!!!!

sweetdawn

you also need to get your live rock in now if you wait and put it in after the tank cycles it may go through cycle again and that is very hard on the nerves

b_slate

I have decided against the live rock due to the price. I have decided to buy dead rock to fill the tank and then add 2 or 3 live rocks to help with filtering and all the other benifits of lr. Is it possible that the dead rock may ever become live?
What is a good fish to tank size ratio, upon completion of the nitrogen cycle?

S

shark bait

Also the shrimp work good, but i have found that 45 lbs for your tank to start out with of good, tunga un cured rock will make you filters mature, and help in the process of killing nitrites. Huge step.
The the ammonia will get so high the level will go off the chart, but you need this to make bacteria to grow strong. it is a huge cycle, the bactera lives in the filters and tank and helps break down the waste, and left over food ( never feed to much!) in a small tank the bio load will change every time you add a fish and some types, eg box, or puffers are messy and cause deadly spikes of nitrites and well bad things happen. So point is live rock, and sand is best IMO And the better the live rock, with good water and light will grow awsome colors and look 10 times better than lava rock. My 2 cents
fyi only add r/o water to top off not salt, and i make a habit of not doing any water changes until the cycle is done eg.. no ammonia, or nitrites to be found. welcome to the hobby :cheer:

E

exile415

the "throw in damsel, to cycle method" is quite cruel and not fair for the fish. I also agree with ricks. slow down.
Books helped me a lot and helped me dodge things I might have done that would have costed me a great amount of money.