Cycling Question

catfishcity

Ok so i have been trying to cycle my QT for about 5-6 weeks and it still is not cycled. My ammonia is down to 0 and my nitrite is at 2.0 ppm and my nitrate is at 7.0 ppm. It is cycling, but VERY slowly. I have a thought that it has to do with the filtration. I only have a bio sponge filter in there right now and was wondering if i put a tiny submersible or HOB filter with carbon in there if it would speed up this process. any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

geoj

You don’t get much Nitrate filtration out of many types of filters. What I would do is put one big piece of live rock in the tank or a clump of chaeto. When and if you use the tank for HT remove the live rock and chaeto.

ilovemytank

Do water changes adding water form your main tank. Of coarse don't put the water you are taking out into the main tank though.

mcbdz

I would, or you can put just a filter without carbon. Just keep it clean when you are using it. Also do you have anything like pvc pipes or fake decor for the fish to hide? If not you will need something in there for the fish and it will provide more area for the bacteria to grow.