cycling tank with chromis

Husband insisted on damsels to cycle the new tank....I didn't want the hassle of trying to catch them later to return. The LFS said I could cycle with chromis and no need to remove them later. Anyone here ever hear of this?

dugan

I think as damsels go chromis are generally pretty laid back. But I would still suggest cycling with LR, LS, and/or some cocktail shrimp instead.
Why is your husband insisting on the damsels? It's tough on the fish. If you like chromis you could always add a few after your cycle is done instead of using them for the cycle.
:)
Katie

galina

The chromis would probably survive.. but really.. why cycle with fish? It's very stressful and unnecessary. Is it just because you want something to look at while your tank cycles? It's highly reccemended that you cycle with something dead as opposed to making a fish put up with the spikes. Patience is a key virtue in this hobby.
Galina

chrismilano

Green Chromis damsels are probably gentle enough to leave in the tank after the cycle (they're the least aggressive damsel), but a good compromise to stressing a fish out during a cycle is to go with the cocktail shrimp and maybe a small cleanup crew. Ive been told that the crew is ok through the cycle. Then you have something fun to watch without killing any fish. Dont rush your cycle; wait the full 4-8 weeks (test to see if nitrites have fallen to 0) and I wouldnt even USE cycle additive; its not needed.

We are cycling with LR, used aragonite sand this time instead of CC. I think he wanted some fish in the tank. 105 gallons with LR is not very exciting to watch, and the cycle was slow starting. Is going much better now.

karlas

its boring to watch but your better off if waiting for the fish. but after the cycle i would get the chromises they are hardy and a great beginner fish. and do not get as nasty as the dasmels. also they are compatable with quite a few fish

broomer5

Cycling without fish is IMO the best way to go.
Regarding the "boring" wait - I've always thought that a tank with live rock cycling is still more exciting than a blank wall with no tank at all.
Cycling tanks is the first step - and as mentioned a great test of one's patience.
Plus it gives you additional time to "ponder" what you really want in your tank.
Like a lot of things in life - anticipation can be part of the fun - if you can stand it :p

aggresiverules

i cycled with 1 green chromis, a three stripe/humbug damsel, and a yellow tail blue damsel, they made it fine until i put my lion trigger and wrasse in. feeding time after that.

Inthesurf

Ok so I have a30 gal acrylic tank with 30 lbs dry rock and about 2 inches of live sand. Just put in two green chromis to cycle. Some say that it's cruel, some not. My question is about how long will it take to reach good or no nitrate?

bang guy

Nitrate isn't what you should follow. The presence of Nitrate does mean that the cycle has started but to keep the cycle going all you need is an ammonia source. A piece of uncured live rock followed by ghost feeding will accomplish that just fine. It will take 4 - 8 weeks using the live rock or 4 - 8 weeks if you choose to kill the two Chromis.

Follow the ammonia level. It should rise then suddenly drop to zero. Letting the ammonia get too high will delay the cycle so I'd recommend changing 1/2 of the water when ammonia exceeds 1.0ppm.

Inthesurf

Not really choosing to randomly kill fish...that's not the idea. Just took a suggestion that's all. Being new to this I am in information overload and not trying to over complicate or seem insensitive to the fish community. If I made a mistake and offended someone..sorry. Hopefully the fish will survive this ordeal and be a part of my livestock. Thanks for the information...it really is helpful.

bang guy

I can assure you with 99% certainty that the two Chromis will not survive. It's your choice of course but I really don't understand why you would put fish, in your care, under that type of suffering when all you need is fish food.

No offense taken nor intended, I really just don't understand.

Kristin1234

I agree, why waste fish when there are other ways to cycle a tank. It may take longer, but that is really the first lesson here. Patience. You will need lots of it with this hobby.

Inthesurf

Lesson learned...won't be doing that again. Why do others say their fish made it through the cycle with no problem...just curious...makes me wonder maybe they just lied to get people to harm fish because ninety- nine percent is a pretty much sure thing and if that is the percentage and people know that why would so many fish lovers intentionally hurt..or better..kill...a fish? Just thinking out loud....

bang guy

There are hardier fish that can survive a cycle. Chromis are just not one of them. To say they survive "no problem" is stretching the truth a bit. I can believe "survived" especially for a Domino or similar Damsel but a high ammonia level will do permanent damage.

beaslbob

I like 'cycling' with algae like macros and using mollies as dither fish.

But that's just my .02

bang guy

Lesson learned...won't be doing that again. Why do others say their fish made it through the cycle with no problem...just curious...makes me wonder maybe they just lied to get people to harm fish because ninety- nine percent is a pretty much sure thing and if that is the percentage and people know that why would so many fish lovers intentionally hurt..or better..kill...a fish? Just thinking out loud....
I just wanted you to know I didn't mean to direct anything at you. I'm just disappointed that hobbyists are still advising those new to the hobby to use live fish as an ammonia source to start a cycle.