cycling tank

newfishguy

When I cycle my tank should I just put all of my live rock in the tank and pour all 80 pounds of sand in the tank at once?

newfishguy

Excellent Thanks guys. Some of these books are a little off and I am glad this board exists. The book I was reading said to put all of the live rock in and cycle the tank. After that put the sand in. So, I started thinking that didn't make sense because the sand is part of the process and the aragonite helps cycle the tank.

tankgirl1

Is there a good reference of how much LS to use per gallon of water/tank size? I had heard for LR you use 2lbs / gallon of water....is that a good estimate?

newfishguy

Around 1 to 1.5 pounds per gallon for both.
I have a 75 gallon tank and just ordered 90 pounds of rock.
I purchased 80 lbs of Arag Alive sand.
Originally Posted by tankgirl1
Is there a good reference of how much LS to use per gallon of water/tank size? I had heard for LR you use 2lbs / gallon of water....is that a good estimate?

tankgirl1

Thanks, newfishguy! I just got a 72 gal bowfront that I am going to run from scratch. No lights, LS or LR, filtration or anything. Thanks for the tip. I will begin my cycle this weekend on it...going to order the LR and LS now. Thanks!

rivrat

I like to put the live rock in before the sand to keep the sand dellers from getting under my rock and possibily toppling some of it over. (just my opinion)
rivrat

dweakl01

Originally Posted by tankgirl1
I just got a 72 gal bowfront that I am going to run from scratch.

I knew you'd buy it!!!
:happyfish
:happyfish
:cheer: