Cycling thoughts

bbrook

So after a rough start I have my 55 f/o up and running for 3 weeks. I have a w/d and running a canister with carbon for chemical. I started with 7 damsels and lost all of them in two days. The only thing we (me and lfs) could determine is a chemical problem hence all the carbon. Everything has settled down and I now have 5 damsels for the past 3 weeks. Is this enough to cycle the tank? or do I need more? I'm in no hurry. Any help would be appreciated.

kris

" I'm in no hurry" that is very intelligent of you. I believe that is the number 1 mistake of most newbies. 8 fish was alot (more than needed to cycle). Do you have your test kit ?? This is the only way to tell when you're done cycling. When there's no more ammonia or nitrites then you should be good to go. But even then, go slowly--I only added one to two fish at a time then waited about 6 weeks to add more.

mgochay

I just have one thing to add tho Kris's comments. This is something that just happened to me when I started my 80gal 10-12 weeks ago. I let my tank cycle for 4-41/2 weeks and all tested great...amm 0 nitrites 0 and so on....all was good. So I went out and laid down $30 bux for my dogface puffer and in about a week my nitrite shot sky hi and stayed that way for around a month. (was freak'n out!) Now all is fine and dandy

So I guess my point is give it another week or so AFTER everything checks out okay to see if it stays that way.
MOST OF ALL REMAIN PATIENT LIKE KRIS AND YOURSELF SAID

Just a rookie passing on his own experience

Hope all goes "groovy baby" lol

bbrook

Thanks for the help. I'm going to get test kits for Am, ites and ates, and PH. I will not proceed until all is back down to normal.
One more question... should I do water changes during cycling? I am planning on changing around 8 gallons (15%) every 2-3 weeks. Should I wait until the full cycle finishes?
Also trying to decide between lfs water or self made with IO and store bought R/O water. Cost is a little more for the lfs .89 per gal vs. .30 for R/O water + Salt. Any thoughs?

mgochay

I would do a the water change about every 3 weeks or so. I DIDN'T change my water for about six weeks when it was cycling and I think that would have made a difference. I didn't change the water till I had a big area of brown algae growing on my substrate and I think I should have changed it way before then.
As far as the water, I was using lfs water at first but now I've gone to making my own. It is cheaper

[This message has been edited by MGochay (edited 04-02-2000).]

T

tattooedlife

Where are you gitting RO water for .30 a gallon? Thats cheap.
Originally posted by bbrook:
Thanks for the help. I'm going to get test kits for Am, ites and ates, and PH. I will not proceed until all is back down to normal.
One more question... should I do water changes during cycling? I am planning on changing around 8 gallons (15%) every 2-3 weeks. Should I wait until the full cycle finishes?
Also trying to decide between lfs water or self made with IO and store bought R/O water. Cost is a little more for the lfs .89 per gal vs. .30 for R/O water + Salt. Any thoughs?

mgochay

Originally posted by Tattooedlife:
Where are you gitting RO water for .30 a gallon? Thats cheap.

I get R/O water for .25 gal. or 1.00 for 5gal. I live in Hemet, CA. Want me to send you some lol

heidi

Originally posted by Kris:
" I'm in no hurry" that is very intelligent of you. I believe that is the number 1 mistake of most newbies. 8 fish was alot (more than needed to cycle). Do you have your test kit ?? This is the only way to tell when you're done cycling. When there's no more ammonia or nitrites then you should be good to go. But even then, go slowly--I only added one to two fish at a time then waited about 6 weeks to add more.

Please help? I had a fresh water tank but decided to convert to salt water. When we went to the pet store, we asked about converting. They never mentioned a cycle process but tod us to just cycle the tank for 2 days. So we did. We have a 55 gallon tank. We then tested the salt levels and they showed fine, therefore, we went tot he fish store and bought 5 fish and 5 damsels. We then visited another fish store who told us that all of our fish will now die. They are so very beautiful, especially the porcupine blow fish that I have begun to love. Is there anything I can do to stop them from dying? and how long do I need to cycle the tenk for? also, is it a good idea to buy more than 1 fish at a time? I wish they told us all this information when we decided to convert. Will they all definately die? Please help!

kris

First -don't go back to the petshop who told you 2 days. How long cycling takes depends-I usually say a month give or take. The only way to tell for sure is with your test kit. So if you don't have one go get one, they are essential. You are going to have a big problem with ammonia--test daily and do a water change if neccessary (and it probably will be.) Keep some ammo detox on hand as well (kent ammo detox works well) but don't depend on it to save the lives of your fish. Whether or not all of your fish will die---well it depends on what kind of fish you have. Odds are you'll loose at least a few. You could also try the new "pre-colonized media" aqua-chargers. I haven't used this product but if it works like it's supposed to it will be a great help to you.
Oh, and for future reference-never buy more than 1-2 fish at a time and then wait at least 3 weeks before adding more. Good Luck
[This message has been edited by Kris (edited 04-05-2000).]

porkypuffer

PORCUPINE PUFFERS ARE PRETTY HARDY FISH. I BOUGHT MINE HALF WAY THROUGH THE CYCLING PROCCESS AND HE LIVED. YOU MAY WANT TO FIND SOMEONE TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR FISH WHILE YOUR TANK CYCLES ( FRIEND OR A FISH STORE ). WHO EVER TOLD YOU 2 DAYS TO CYCLE KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT SALTWATER FISH TANKS.

lanee

2 Days to cycle? Wouldn't that be heaven for all beginning saltwater aquarists. Unfortunately...that would be impossible. My tank finished cycling after 2 1/2 weeks...but I still waited before buying any other fish than the 2 damsels I used to cycle the tank. And when I did finally get more...I only bought one...a week after the tank finished cycling. Good luck to you...I hope everything still goes well for you.