Cycling time

coachd

I have had my tank up for a week now and my readings are as follows
A=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate= .5
From everything I have read it should take 2 to 4 weeks for a tank to cycle.
Should I go ahead and do a water change to get the nitrates down and assume that my take is cycled or what a few days ?
Thank you for your help

ray28576

I would wait at least 2 more weeks.
Be patient, I know its hard, but you''ll learn patience with this hobby.

mcsd22

Did you put anything in to start your cycle. It sounds like it has not even started yet. 5 on the nitrate is fine my concern is that you have no amonoia or nitrite. Throw a store shrimp in to start the cycle the watch for the amonoia spike.

some1fishy

I agree. It sounds like it hasnt started yet. Any live rock? If not or if you do, use the shrimp. You want an ammonia & trite spike.

fishguy84

I envy you people with low Nitrate. :mad: I aquired a 75 FOWLR where the Nitrate tested 100. Took out the CC and put in LS, which droped the nitrate to 70, and am going to put in a great deal more LR (came with maybe 5 lbs :hilarious ). What's your advice on macro? work good enough to buy craploads of, or should I buy stock in instant ocean and 25% it once a week?

weberian

One cheatomorpha plant in a sump/fuge keeps my nitrates non-detectable. Lighting for the macro is on reverse cycle to that of the display tank, which minimizes nightly fluctuation of the pH.

some1fishy

Ryan,
I found that it helps only to have them on for a bear minimun. 2hrs a day for the cycle. slowly bring them up as you see the spike going down. JMO.