Cycling w/freshwater

pstanley

Does anybody know if you can cycle a tank with gravel from a freshwater tank (or with a filter from a freshwater tank to avoid cycling all together)? I have a book that says that the "bugs" are the same in both types of water...they just need to adjust to the new saltwater conditions.

frankl15207

Bacteria from another tank will help the seeding process. Have never tried it from a freshwater tank. Most LFS will give you a small amount of sand or gravel from their tanks to help the seeding process. PLease note that this will help the process, it won't eliminate the need to cycle.

nicenakago

I converted my tank from fresh to salt and left the same bio balls in the wet dry filter. I used the same filter pad for the first week, and then changed it. The tank did need to cycle over again... due to the massive water change, but it only tool me 2 weeks to cycle the tank. Good luck!

fishymissy

I have never tried this, but you are correct. The bacteria responsible for "cycling" are the same in freshwater and saltwater.
It would seem to me that you would have to acclimate the bacteria. Perhaps putting some gravel or the filter pad in a clean tank with identical freshwater (same parameters as the old tank) then gradually adding salt to the water, maybe over a period of hours or even days, until the salinity reaches the desired levels.
As said before, you will still have to cycle the tank and go slow. Remember too, that when you add LR you will have some die off on it and a small cycle will still occur. But this is a great way to get a jump start!
Once again I should say that I have never tried this myself.....I'm just guessing on the acclimation :)
Good luck!