Damsel and other fish

danf1973

I know just about everyone hates these fish but i have for the time 2 solid blue and 2 blk/whites in my tank now. As they are well known for fin nipping and so on if I decided to keep them what would be a good comb with other fish? Thanks in advance=)

flower

Originally Posted by danf1973
http:///forum/post/3080262
I know just about everyone hates these fish but i have for the time 2 solid blue and 2 blk/whites in my tank now. As they are well known for fin nipping and so on if I decided to keep them what would be a good comb with other fish? Thanks in advance=)

Fin nipper??? You know it will grow up to bite you right?
The damsels will eventualy kill off each other and the meanest will survive, so to go with your 1 damsel...maybe lion fish or a puffer, that way you can get even with it for being a murderer, and for biting you. JK
I know they are beautiful fish...So hang in there because I know a few people on the site have found a way to keep more than just the 1 damsel in a tank...and other fish live with them as well, so it isnt impossible. Good luck

arvins

That many damsels I don't think will survive each other but they might stranger things have happened. Might want to try a more aggresive tank for them so they don't harrass your calmer fish. I keep one damsel in my tank and so far hes been fine with my clowns and my tomini (my tomini tang schools with him
) but more then one in the tank and I've heard they can get really bad about killing each other off.

danf1973

Thanks guys! I must say everyone who has replied has been great! Most boards many will talk down to you like a bottom feeder=) LOL

i have a yellow tail damsel and a three stripe damsel in my 90g for a year now and they get along just fine, i did have a domino damsel that i gave back to the lfs he was sooo mean. guess it depends on the fish.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by danf1973
http:///forum/post/3080262
Somethig like maroon would keep them in check, as long as it's the same size or bigger. Something more agressive then they are would work.

dazed2040

I have two three stripes and they get along with the other fish but they don't like zoathids, I put a few in and the big damsel pulled it off the rock%
% I also had a two stripe that would bite every time you put your hand in the tank.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by tank a holic
http:///forum/post/3081303
i have a yellow tail blue damsel and its the most timid fish I have

The damsels are wierd in that they are good follower of higharchy, but they do challange the leader once in a while. If he is with other agressive fish ofcourse.

jayson417

I just gave back a domino and 3 striped to my lfs as i had them for about 4 months and they doubled in size. The reason for me giving these two back because both of the meanies bite me and i started to bleed.
But i have 2 other 3 striped that get along fine. and a velvet damsel which is nice to.
stupid fish kept running into my hand over and over until i realized he was biting me.

jackri

The yellow tails are pretty timid for the most part. Some of the others like the dominos or black and white stripes are little bull dogs -- especially given some time to mark their territory and then add anything. I do have one yellow tail left and he's fine but I'd never add another damsel -- EVER (although they are pretty).

rdub62

i'd say as long as you stay away from the three spot domino damsel you should be fine i have about 10 out of 14 left of my damsels. my angler eats 1 or 2 every other week. but my three spot domino has actually broken my skin nipping at me while i was cleaning many times...lol...