damsel in distress

jfick1010

I have a 26 gal tank and a blue damsel in distress. I have had the tank for 9months. Today I came home and she is laying at the bottom of the tank, she is still alive but is having a hard time breathing. she will swim if I try to net her. My clown died 2 weeks ago of ick and the yellow tang died about 3 weeks ago of an unknown cause (no white spots or scraping). The damsel was doing fine until today. The levels in the tank are reading normal. I just bought a skimmer for the tank last night(seaclone 100), I don't think this stressed her out but I guess it may have. Also she didn't eat much of her flake food this A.M. I also have a chocolate chip star fish, a peppermint shrimp, a snail, 3 aneomes and a hermit crab. They are all doing fine, can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with my fish? Please and thank you!
Jenny

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you have ich in the tank, the parasite is likly killing these fish.
You need to treat the ich, which you can't do in a reef tank. Fish will need to be QTed and treated with hyposalinity. If you are interested in doing this, take a look at the FAQ Thread topics on QT, hyposalinity, refractometer and the pic of the fish with ich.
Good Luck!