Damsel !

matt b

Originally Posted by nanoreef
Hi Guys,
Wondering what the best way to catch a damsel out of my tank?

ah good luck!!

wangotango

Remove some of the rock on one side of the tank, have a divider that will fit tightly from front to back, get the damsel on that side, put the divider down, and get 'em. It'll be a lot easier when the area is smaller and there's nothing for it to hide in.
You could also leave a net in the tank for a few days so it'll get used to it. Put some food in there, and when it goes for it, scoop it out.
I cought an angel with the first method and cought a damsel with the second. If the net doesn't work you might as well try something else, they'll remember what it's for
Happy fishing...
-Justin

alix2.0

Originally Posted by gmford1979
for real, the fly fishing hook works. but you have to use fly fishing line. fish in your tank can see other line, and won't come close to it. also, the damsels will eat around the hook. you sometimes have to just jerk it and hook them.
if you want to be "Peta friendly", you can cut the barb off the hook so you can save him. but after all that you go through, i wouldn't recommend it. i hate those sum b!tche$.

dlauber

On very hot fishing days, when nothing seems to be bitting, Ill get a very very tiny hook and roll up a little bread crumb on the end to catch small sunfish.
I beleive you can buy the same small hooks, and 'dip bait' at walmart, its basically to catch your own bait for larger fishing, its actually quite fun. But I am sure that itll work for this purpuse.
And I mean these hooks are really really small...I cant think of anything to compare it too.

m0nk

Originally Posted by nanoreef
Hi Guys,
Wondering what the best way to catch a damsel out of my tank?

Best way is to not have them to begin with.

Seriously, I had a damsel only tank a while back (not for cycling, added them after, they're neat to watch some times) and they're wicked fast. When I broke that tank down to use for QT I basically had to remove everything and grab them with a huge net.

wangotango

Originally Posted by m0nk
Best way is to not have them to begin with.

Well said. Sure they're indestructable, but I wouldn't recommend them to a newb because this is what they'd go through.
I started the hobby with three damsels; one blue, and two three-striped. I managed to catch one of the three striped (who caused both of my clowns to jump) and am trying to catch the other. The blue is a perfect citizen, doesn't bother anything. He can stay.
-Justin

dlauber

seriously, go to the fishing section of walmart for small hooks, they come with a small plastic container filled with some type of blue....goopy crap...

earlybird

I just got one out that was in a tank for 3 years. I used 2 flourocarbon nets that I have for fishing. One to scare the fish and the other to nab him. The key is to have the "catch net" out of the water and dip it straight down in fast swooping motion.
I'm sure the small hook would work. They sell very small hooks the smallest I've seen is a #4 which would be small enough to catch a damsel. It would have to be baited with a small piece of shrimp. A piece of a sabiki rig might work and you could just bounce it around. I'm sure the fish would be attracted to it.

crt81

The fishing method is what I'm doing as we speak (well not as we speak on this post)!
And let me tell you my yellowtail is very smart and has torn of the bait, picked at the bait but hasn't swallowed the bait (small piece of grass shrimp). So I'm feeling like this will never happen. and I also have 2 other fish that are dying to get a piece of that shrimp/hook, so it ultimately is a 2 person job (1 handling he line and the other holing the chop sticks to shoo away the other fish).
So I have to say, I have a bad feeling that I will have to resort to taking th rock out and getting him this way!!!!

earlybird

try jigging the baited hook up and down. He's not going to swallow the hook. When he's feeding off of it you are hoping to hook/snag him. Patience Daniel-son.

florida joe

My local fish store has a loner fish trap that you bate with brine shrimp I looked at it and it may work on my sixline when I need to put him in time out and introduce a new fish you mind want to check your lfs for one or look on line