Damsels

cosguy20

I have two damsels I think they are called yellow tailed damsel. Are they agressive. The one beat the crap out of the other one so i caught the one the was being agressive and put it in a bucket and stired the water around and then put it back in and it seems like it doesn't want to mess with the other one now. I didn't know what to do . I got so mad at the one. OMG could you give me some advice on how to handle it better next time. I feel like I abused it.

UPDATE:
I took the one aggressive damsel back to the store. One of my good friends work there and she check my water. She said everything was fine except my nitrates (I think that what the bad stuff is. I get the nitrates and the nitrite mixed up, Could someone explain) Well she told me to do a water change and I did. Well my amonnia is ZERO YIPPEEEEEEEEEEE but my nitrates are on the color that says 3.3 mg/l to 33mg/l anyone have any advice for me ??

overanalyzer

damsels are territorially for the most part and they will chase each other ... so get rid of 'em or get rid of one and have him be the only fish in the tank or get a mantis/lionfish/angler fish and add him in with your damsels ....

cprdnick

LOL, punishment for fish, I usually just futily tap on the glass when one of my critters are being abusive. .

cosguy20

The one that is still in my tank is doing fine. It finally ate a little bit tonite. Plus, I think that the missing tail is starting to grow back. There are these little yellow bumps on the tail. I know that it's not ick. It's really hard to explain, but I think that it's a good kind of bumps. I'm new to this so anyone know what I'm talking about, please tell me what I'm talking about. HAHA HA HA

seschaefer

I have three damsels in my 20 gal right now and they don't fight. I have a three stripe, a domino, and a yellow tail. The yellow tail even eats from my hand now. I am unfortunatley going to be trading them in after a while. BUt for now i love the little guys.

karajay

Originally posted by cosguy20
I get the nitrates and the nitrite mixed up, Could someone explain

The nitrogen cycle of your tank should basically go like this:
Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate
A completely cycled tank should have zero ammonia and nitrite. Both are potentially toxic to all inhabitants.
Nitrates in a cycled tank can range anywhere from 0-80. You want to strive to keep the nitrate level as low as possible (less than 20 for happy inverts, less than 40 for fish).
:happyfish
As far as your damsel's injured tail - if the dots are the same color as the tail fin itself, I wouldn't worry. It will probably grow back out normally, especially when the water conditions improve.