darn hermit crab!!!

sharkee

my hermit crab changed twice recently into larger shells however, and over the past 4 to 8 weeks, i've noticed the dessapearance of one of my smaller fish and all my smaller feather dusters. i even whitnessed my crab giving my biggest feather duster a "haircut"lol. looks cute but i'm worried because i even saw him on top of the live rocks trying to get to the rest of my feather dusters...please help...thanks a bunch!!

halide

Sorry to hear about your problem but I think large hermits feed on feather dusters because I moved one from my fish only tank to my anenome tank which had two large feather dusters and numerous small ones and now there herbe food.(and to think I moved him becuase I was afraid he would be dinner)

krazzydart

what kind of hermits do you have.... I have some blues,scarlets and a few reds and they don't bother a thing. I have many feather dusters in my tank and they do not bother them...

gladiator

I had the same problem and had to move him. The one I have is in a 2 inch shell. He is redish and has white spots. I liked him because he churned up the media bed, and cleaned it I think.

veskas

You've got a regular red hermit, not the little scarlet legs. We had one that we had to get rid of. They can get pretty big & NASTY. They'll go after anything small (we had it latch onto a queen angel that was sick) & they'll kill it. Keep it with LARGE fish only or trade him in at the pet store.
Good luck.

clwhite

I have a brown hermit crab that was in a very small shell about seven months ago. he started out in my reef tank and now is in a three inch shell. he is HUGE now. I had to move it to my trigger tank. does anyone know what kind of hermit I have?