Dartfish parasite of some kind?

sleeper

Hey all, I have a male purple firefish in my 29 with a ton of zoas and a pair of scooter dragonets.
He's a relatively new pickup (last couple weeks) and he's been totally fine through the acclimation process.
Just today, however, I noticed he was acting 1% off, and I took a closer look. On his skin was something I at first thought was a lesion, but on closer inspection was moving!! It appeared to my untrained eye to be a worm-like parasite just beneath the skin. From through his skin, it appears to be white.
He's still moving around fine, breathing no faster than normal, but he just kind of LOOKS uncomfortable (you reefers all know how you can just kind of sense when something is off).
First of all, I have no quality camera, but based on the description, any ideas what it might be? Second, any ideas of a cure? I've heard "freshwater bath" thrown around a bit but I'm not sure that would have the intended effect. Third, how the heck am I supposed to catch a firefish?!?! Moving the rockwork at this point is all but out of the question.
Any help people can offer would be greatly appreciated.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It may be something harmless that is just normally in the tank. Use a magnifying glass and keep an eye on it and all your fish.

sleeper

So, my dude is worse.
I still really don't think it's ich. Ich is a little "hairier" than these spots, and I really saw one of them moving.
I think it's some kind of wormlike parasite. ANy suggestions? They're directly under the skin, but I don't even know how I'm supposed to catch him to give him treatment.
He's a DARTFISH!
Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can you QT the fish? Did you use a magnifying glass to see this? Ich is not hariy looking at all. Take a look at the pictures of ich in the Diseased Fish thread.