DE MH bulbs

acrylic51

I'm contemplating going with the DE bulbs on the new setup, and have looked at the XM and really like them, but still not sold on making the change over from SE

yaksplat

I have 250W 10k Ushio's. They won't be installed until the new tank is up and running, so i really can't give an opinion on them.

K

kpatrick

I have a PFO pendant with Hamilton 250w 14K bulb. I didnt want to supplement actinics and the 14k gives off just enough blue light to make me happy.

vlondi

kpatrick, how does the pendant work out for you? Are you able to keep a fair number of corals/anenomes with that? And do you keep a glass top on the tank to prevent fish from jumping out?

K

kpatrick

Vlondi,
I have 3 lights setup in my canopy. I use the HQI pendant in the middle since its over the glass tank support. The bulbs on each side of it are single ended bulbs. I use eggcrate to keep fish from jumping out of the tank. I noticed that if you keep your glass on it makes the tank really warm plus it drowns out the "wavy water" looking shadows that the MH bulbs make in the tank (make sense?). If I had it all to do again I may have gone with 3 HQI pendants just because they are so easy to hang and it forces the light down into the tank unlike the reflectors.