dead coral

stonedpimp

i was givin some dead coral, its been sitting for years. whats the best way to clean it before adding it to my tank.

angelsrock

like mdog said use bleach but you soak it in a bucket with a little bit of bleach and a lot of water like you would mop a floor with. leave it overnight to soak and the next day it looks brand new. then rinse it pretty good and then soak it in dechlorinator and repeat until it doesn't smell of bleach.

ebsochin

You could also boil it in some water for about 10 minutes to make sure there are no bugs or parasites on it. Then rinse it off really good and let it cool before placing it in the tank.

angelsrock

Originally Posted by ebsOCHIN
You could also boil it in some water for about 10 minutes to make sure there are no bugs or parasites on it. Then rinse it off really good and let it cool before placing it in the tank.
the exoskeletons of corals are too delicate to put in a boiling pot. i i wouldn't do it.

ebsochin

the exoskeletons of corals are too delicate to put in a boiling pot. i i wouldn't do it
He is talking about dead coral skeletons that have been sitting for years. Nothing live here. I've done this with several dead coral pieces collected over the years from the red sea, okinawa japan and have never had any issues. Either way works, but I don't trust the risk of getting bleach in my tank.

angelsrock

Originally Posted by ebsOCHIN
He is talking about dead coral skeletons that have been sitting for years. Nothing live here.
that's the same thing, the exoskeleton of a coral is what's left when they are dead, but i just plainly don't trust boiling because i've had too many things bad happen while boiling something.

ebsochin

angelsrock- ? are you weary of this process because of the possibility of the dead coral breaking? If that is the case then I somewhat understand. When I have done this, I don't boil it in a rapid boil or for very long (5 minutes or so). I can see that very delicate pieces might break but if they are larger or thicker it shouldn't be a problem. Just wanted to clarify. Either way I guess.