Dead Coral

I should have probably posted this question sooner, but about a month ago I bought a piece of live rock that was mostly dead coral. I am not sure if I like it or hate it. On the one hand it looks really neato, on the other hand it is dead coral... kinda freaky.
In either event, is this piece of dead coral ok to put into my tank (its about a 4 lb piece of LR that is 80% covered with the dead coral. The reason I ask is that it smelled really bad when I bought it. I have checked all my levels and they seem to be ok.
Any thoughts?
--Tor

aarone

what exactly do you mean by dead coral? Is it just a rock covered in barnacles? where was it harvested from? Also if it had a bad smell to it, you should not have put it in the display tank. It was probably uncured LR. This causes ammonia spike, and possibly another cycle.
aaron

cope787

you should cure it before putting it in your tank. put in a a rubber ben with some water flow and an airstone for about 3 weeks.

the LFS said that it was a Tonga Live Rock and had been curing for 4 months. (whether they were lying to me or not is another discussion). Its basically a rock covered in this white pattern that looks as if something was growing on the rock at one time (the LFS said that coral was growing on the rock at one time). I didnt see any barnacles or anything on the rock (other than some algae and some other little critters).
--Tor

aaron,
after learning more about aquariums I was thinking the same way that you are (that is what caused me to post this question). My initial concern was that the "smelly" LR would cause excess ammonia (or some other level to increase beyond what is safe or normal). So far I havent seen this and the tank has been up and running for just over 4 weeks (55 gal.). Is 4 weeks too short a time period to
I have been taking measurments every 2 days and have not seen an ammonia level > .5 yet.
--Tor

aarone

hmmm. The white stuff that covers it may just be dead Coralline algae. Is it smooth or bumby and skeleton like?
Did you cycle your tank to start it at all? This may just be what you need to kick it off. Please post a detailed description of your tank....How much LR, LS, and how many critters.
aaron

I just took readings tonight:
55 gal tank
temp 79
salinity 1.022
ph 8.0 - 8.2
ammonia < .5
nitrates near 0
nitrites near 0
50 lb live rock
50 lb CC
Tank has been up and running for about a month
2 percula, 1 scooter blenny (have been in tank for about a week)
LR is from Tonga, LFS said it was cured for 4 months (Piece of LR with the "dead coral" was in a tank with other fish and anemones). All other LR was in a big tub in the back room of the LFS with a heater and aerator.
Here is a pic (lets hope the pic came out ok).
Thanks,
Tor

aarone

that does look like some sort of skeletal structure. Not sure to what kind of coral. Maybe you just have stinky rock?:confused:
aaron

lesliefox

I wouldn't worry about the dead coral. As long as your readings are good there is no harm. Plus it looks pretty!!!

moopiespoo

I think it looks good too. Looks like it has pink coraliine on it. I assume you haven't added fish yet? You should be ok just a longer cycle. You're lfs was probably lying and it was uncured.

oregonbud

It sounds like your tank is off to a great start.
One thing you may or may not be aware of regarding your scooter blenny is that this fish is also called an ocellated dragonet (same family as a mandarin) and has a very specific diet consisting of sand bed infauna - pods primarily - in as new of a tank as you have with crushed coral as a substrate you probably will not have enough food for the scooter to survive for very long. I would say less then month but maybe up to two months.
You really should try to have a dsb, a mature tank, and a little more live rock to be able to successfully keep a scooter blenny.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.