dead corals/base rock turn to live rock?

sinful

whats up everyone? I use dead corals and dead used to be live rock for my cichlid tank and was wondering if they would turn live again if real live rock was used. Basicaly if I started a saltwater tank and added say 60lbs of live rock to my 60lbs of dead corals/dead rock would it turn it and how long would it take?

teen

the dead corals will not become live because there not porous enough. the dead "live rock" should become live once again as long as it was actual live rock from the ocean at one time, such as fiji, kaelini, tonga, or something of that nature.

xxxgreg

if its dead its dead.Ive been doing alot of reading on lr and most everything thats on it in the wild is dead by the time you get it. so imo most all live rock is a scam it nothing more than a $9.00 per pound filter :mad:

teen

Originally Posted by xxxgreg
if its dead its dead.Ive been doing alot of reading on lr and most everything thats on it in the wild is dead by the time you get it. so imo most all live rock is a scam it nothing more than a $9.00 per pound filter :mad:
LR isnt $9 a pound everywhere. its only $3 by me, and imo, its one of the most important part of your tank. imo, its better than pretty much every filter out there. and a lot of times, LR has a lot of cool and interesting things living on it.

reefiness

yes you can make live rock from cement but the thing is its not live... you are going to need to seed it with LR althought it wont be all that porus so it wont be as sufficient as real lr, IMO just buy all LR its worth it in the long run.

oceanists

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooK
I think you better do some more valid research ... because you are WAAAAAAAAAAY off ... and LR is only 3.50 a pound in CA
:notsure:

engineer

LR around here is $5.00/lb, for just the basic, and 7-9/lb for the fiji, marshal and better live rocks. To answewr the other guys ? yes dead LR can come back to life, how do you think people that do DIY LR can use it???

xxxgreg

ok guess i was wrong the bacteria that live on lr and make it live can live out of water and be just fine in temps above 90 or below 0 f

S

saltfreak4

is this sarcasm? Sounds a little like it. I think you are off, too. If you read all the sites I have been reading, and there are a lot, say that once it cycles the stuff starts to grow back. You can even use old rock that is known to have once been produced by a reef, seed it, and grow new. It's just as porous because it started out the same way years ago.

stanlalee

perhaps most everything is dead but it only takes two of anything (and alot of things just one) to mulitply. Some things are almost dead and recover. If you live in Florida and buy florida rock from a local supplier your rock may be different than Fiji Rock you bought off of egay with 3 day shipping. florida rock sometimes still even has live fish as hitchhikers. Bottom line is despite the transit time out of water it is highly probable that theres enough life left to add some forms of interest and diversity to your tank. If you want pods the 1rst thing you go buy is liverock. You may not see any for a while but eventually they'll come.
as for the original question if you add fresh liverock to that rock eventually the creatures and such will migrate to the old rock and become liverock. I have a few pieces of man made coral rock and you cant even tell the difference.

nigerbang

I bought some from the auction site for $98.00 for 50 lbs.....looks great, better looking then $6.99lb from my LFS

stanlalee

Originally Posted by NigerBang
I bought some from the auction site for $98.00 for 50 lbs.....looks great, better looking then $6.99lb from my LFS
Just a random example I was using. Alot of the major suppliers including the two doctors sell on egay.

mandarin w

Live rock can be brought back to live.
Live rock in my area starts out $7lb for base, and up to $9lb for figi, or tonga. and other rock is still even more. $12lbs. So I can understand not wanting to spend that much on rock.
That is why you need to be creative.
Last year I got a 180gal tank, I knew that it would tank alot of rock. a least 250lbs. and at $9lb, it was going to run me well over 2 grand. So I ran an add in the local "Thrify Nickle" type paper. and ask for any unused live rock. I had know that a little over a year before the last LFS in our area had closed down, and most people didn't want to drive 40plus miles to get supplies or fish. So alot of people packed up their tanks, or just went back to fresh and put the live rock in the garage. So in my ad, I even told people that if the rock had been sitting in the garage for a year dry, that would be ok. You would not believe the calls I got, for over two months I had people calling me. Asking me to get that crap out of thier way. By the time all way said and done. I ended up with about 300lbs of live rock, a 75gal tank, a 50gal tank and a 29 gal tank/ with fish that were in desprate need of help. When the LFS closed down, there were so many people who didn't know what to do. The guy at the LFS always told them step for step. And the info he gave them wasn't alway for their benifit. He make quite a bit of $$ and retired in Greece. Must be nice. Anyway.....
I got all of this ROCK, and put it in the tanks that I aquired and threw a couple pieces of live rock from one of my tanks I have had running for about two years at the time. It took about six months, but by the time I was ready to set up my 180 all the rock was cured. Alot of the rock had little red, yellow and blue feather dusters. I know this had to be from the rock that I got from the add, because none of my rock ever had those. I also ended up with a blue sponge. and a gold furry thing. might be a sponge, but I think it might have been golden rod. I can tell you my tank that I had running for two years never was so blessed. The plus, this rock only went thru and very short lived alge bloom, about 1 week. Cost for all the rock. Zero dollars. Just a lot of elbow greece cleaning it up. and patients and praying it would work.
So the answer to your question is a 100% possitively, absolutely YES!!!!!! You can bring live rock back to life.

xxxgreg

look there is more than one class of live rock
1.live rock
2.half dead rock
3.used to be live rock
4.Ive just *Edit Language* you out of $300. live rock
class one is the best :cheer:
class two is a deal :joy:
class three

class four

when buying lr look at whats marked lr and then look at whats in the tubs or boxs on the floor. if whats on the floor of your lfs looks like whats maked as lr then your buying class four lr.
please know witch class of live rock you have when posting about lr if its not class 1 or 2 its not real lr but base rock.
Base rock can not cycle a tank nor can it support life in a tank but please note that after many many weeks in a tank base rock can be called class #2 live at this time it can cycle a tank and support life in a tank.
thank you

oceanists

look there is more than one class of live rock
1.live rock
2.half dead rock
3.used to be live rock
4.Ive just {EDIT LANGUAGE} you out of $300. live rock
class one is the best
class two is a deal
class three
class four
when buying lr look at whats marked lr and then look at whats in the tubs or boxs on the floor. if whats on the floor of your lfs looks like whats maked as lr then your buying class four lr.
please know witch class of live rock you have when posting about lr if its not class 1 or 2 its not real lr but base rock.
Base rock can not cycle a tank nor can it support life in a tank but please note that after many many weeks in a tank base rock can be called class #2 live at this time it can cycle a tank and support life in a tank.
thank you

there are 3 types of rock...
Cured Live Rock

Uncured Live Rock (Great to cycle a tank) :jumping:
Base Rock (saves money by mixing with the above two) :joy:
you should know the difference
and you cant cycle a tank with base rock .... BUT you can cycle a tank with base rock in it by using a cocktrail shrimp which will start your tanks cycle and eventually grow beneficial bacteria ..... and if you ask for a bag of pods from your lfs ... you eventually have the same thing ... keep correct Alk and Calcium and you get coraline (which sells the LR)
soooooooooooooooooooo do some more research and please refrain from using adult language on these forums

The more you try to sound educated on this topic, the more you sound like you havent done any research

oceanists

i guess you can cycle a tank with any hunk of rock as long as you do ten other things to it
well yeah ...you can cycle a tank with no rock at all.