Dead Goby?

peppy

Well my matched pair of sleeper gold head goby's were not a matched pair for very long? They swam around the tank as happy as can be for two days, never outside of an inch of each other. Built a burrow...then yesterday I noticed one always stayed in the new home, I was thinking baby goby's? Then today found dead? Water is perfect and other fish are fine?
Now the goby hangs with the sailfin tang like they are matched pair?

justinx

Your tank is kinda heavily stocked for being just barely a month old. It probably is still cycling. That and it is odd for your brittle star to be out in broad daylight like that. Someone (ophiura) correct me if i am wrong, but healthy stars of the serpent and brittle species typically hide during daylight and scavenge at night.
Test your water levels

jonthefb

thats the first thing i noticed as well...not that the star is out, but that you have one in there and now your fish is missing....especially a sleeper goby....green brittles have been know to attack fish especially those that hang out on the bottom of the tank, or burrow, uch like the sleepers!
good luck
jon

peppy

Ya, that was why I grabbed the camera. That was the first I saw of him, in total, sense I put him in there 4 days ago? That star is always under the rocks or inbetween them to where you can only see the end of its legs. Not sure why he cruised out for that breif moment?
My water levels are for what I'm able to test for? pH 8.4, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, Nitrate 5 and Salinity 1.025. Tank cycled in about 12 days and I have been getting great #'s ever sense, testing every couple of days.
The goby in question stayed in its burrow all day yesterday and I guess if it was sick, it would not have a chance with that serpent star in there? Serpent star not a good choice in reef / fish / invert tank?

justinx

Wow, thats great that your tank cycled so fast. mine did the same thing. I actually missed the whole cycle.
Perhaps your fish just acclimated poorly to his new home.