Dead Rio 2500

robchuck

I woke up this morning to a fried Rio 2500 return pump on my 150 gallon FOWLR tank. This is the third Rio I've fried in my time, but it came with the setup when I got it. I had anticipated on replacing the pump down the road. Now that I am down the road sooner than I thought I would be, I am looking for advice for a more reliable means of returning water to my display. I currently have a Rio 1700 subbing as a stopgap return pump right now, but would like to put a permanent replacement into service relatively quickly. I'm not sure if I want to stick with a submersible pump or move to an external. I have a plugged 1 1/2" bulkhead coming out of my sump right now, so plumbing wouldn't be tough, but I would like to hear advice from other members before I make any decisions. I have a budget of about $150-$200 including plumbing, but don't have much time to shop for anything used. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Rob

reef fool

I just set my system up with a Rainbow Lifeguard "Quiet One" external return pump. Seems to work well and is extremely quiet. Actually, if you put your ear within a few inches of it, you can't even hear a sound coming from it.