Dead rock to live rock

rodfin

Hello, if anyone could tell me what rock could i buy from Home Depot to turn into live rock thanks.

dad

hummmmm? my question is why are you looking for rocks at home depot?
go to a lfs and buy some base rock. it's cheap.

rodfin

What type of store is IFs i'm from illnois we dont have any stores by that name.But what you are saying is base rock is it pores type rock.

adrian

If your looking for cheap rock why not make some? Theres a recipe on GARF. Its cheap, easy, and looks good once its covered in coralline. HTH

dugan

Do you mean sand? I know people have bought sand from Home Depot but I've never heard of anyone buying rocks there.
Katie

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You know, I've seen that rock receipe and it does not look so easy to me. It takes at least 6 wks to make! Also, this rock would be very dense, since it is made of cement. Anybody made their own rock and can offer some opinions?

adrian

The rock is very easy to make, yes it takes a few weeks to cure, but so does live rock freshly taken from the ocean. If you mix in macaroni or some other noodle into the mixture it will disolve leaving pores. I have a few pieces in my tank, and after about 2 weeks I couldnt tell the difference from my fiji rock. A buddy of my has his entire tank full. looks great, cost him about $40 to make over 100 pounds. Cant say I will ever purchase live rock again after spending about $700 on the 160 pounds I have now. Aquacultured rock is a good way to go also, although it dosnt look near as good as pacific rock and is very dense. HTH

adrian

Main thing is to make sure the rock is cured before you use it of course, use vinegar to speed up the process, and monitor with a pH test kit. Macaroni and crushed ice works well to create pores. You can also mix in crushed oyster shells that you can get really cheap at a feed store in place of the aragonite crushed coral. HTH
[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: Beth ]

indy1

My lfs sold me some live rock that someone pulled out of their reef and stuck in the garage.I bought 13lbs for $15 . After 1 week some of the rock is already starting to form coralline. What a great buy!!! The same day I also purchased a 6"-8" pagoda for $30. It is a beautiful pink color and is doing very well.
[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: Indy1 ]
[ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: Indy1 ]