Dead SPS? (Pics)

bonebrake

Hey guys. I got my first two SPS frags ever last night: I think the first one is a blue tort and the second is Montipora digitata. I added them to my tank at around 9:00 PM and they had full polyp extension right away. The lights went out at 10:00 PM. The next morning at 10:00 AM they looked like this:

bonebrake

Question: Is the first one dead? Are the polyps retracted or completely gone? It appears that they are empty holes as if something ate the polyps out in the twelve hour period they were in my tank. Is this possible?
:notsure:
The Montipora digitata looks good in my opinion, what do you guys think?

reefkprz

its possible, if its was dying a crab or snail or cleaner shriump could have stripped it bare overnight.

bonebrake

The guy that had them kept them under power compact fluorescents and I have the same, so no I did not light acclimate them.
Good to know on the cleaner shrimp cleaning it out. As soon as I epoxied it, a peppermint shrimp hit it like white on rice.

I guess he had a nice $10 snack.

bonebrake

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
the monti dig looks fine the epoxy is ugly though...

I know, I never used epoxy before and he gave me a chunk. I about gagged when I activated it; the smell is really noxious. I think the epoxy is ugly as sin, but my coralline spreads like a plague though so it should be purple in two weeks and the eagle eyes will cover it shortly after that.
:joy:

aztec reef

you should off used Krazy Glue(gel) I'm not saying that's what killed it.
But the first one is pretty much Crush Coral.
The second one :thinking: It doesn't look good but it wouldn't be impossible to Regenerate.so alot of TLC is needed.
Good luck.

bonebrake

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
The second one :thinking: It doesn't look good but it wouldn't be impossible to Generate.
What does this mean?

michaeltx

SPS corals have a unique ability that the polyps can go deep into the skeleton and if conditions are right they can come back it takes awhile though .
I never throw out any SPS skeletons because of this.
The epoxy that you used did it get HOT when you were kneading it. If so it can kil an SPS coral because of the heat.
To be honest with you I have never seen one bleach like this. But there is a disease called RTN that can wipe them out really fast. but it usually takes alittle bit of time. How big was this frag??
Mike

pfitz44

I recomend never using epoxy due to the heat. Super glue gel is the only way to go. Did u check for bugs as well? any new aditions that could have brought in the bugs?

michaeltx

If there is something dead in the tank They will effectively clean it up. They are scavangers so its not unheard of. They do not however go after good healthy corals,
Mike

michaeltx

Yes pretty much all shrimp will eat anything in the tank that needs to be cleaned up. The only thing is some shrimp like the CB and mantis will go after things like small fish.
mike

michaeltx

yep when they are small they do not pose a threat as they get bigger they can lay in wait until a small fish comes close and catch them. Do a search for them at the top and you will see a few threads on them.
mike