dead to live rock??

A

alexmir

How long does it take for foundation non live rock to become live rock?
Because there has to be a cheaper way to have live rock than 4.99 a pound!!!!

mcbdz

Not very long. Use mostly base rock and just top it off with a couple pieces of cured LR. It will mature over time, but the bio filter part should only take a few weeks. The critters and algeas will spread a little slower, but should look all the same in a few months. My tank is 10 1/2 months and you would not be able to guess which was base after about 4months.

fishygurl

its better than 9-19 dollars a pound that some stores here charge...its ridiculous
ya some live sand i believe would help get more bugs too.

A

alexmir

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
its better than 9-19 dollars a pound that some stores here charge...its ridiculous
ya some live sand i believe would help get more bugs too.
WOW!!! Thats pretty pricy! Mabye its not that expensive because im right on the coast of mexico... To fill a 50 gallon tank properly would be around 3000 dollars! It would be cheaper to drive to the coast and find some for yourself.

We found our Live Rock on craigslist from some guy that was busting down his tank...110 lbs. for $165.00 if you look around you will be able to find some really great deals

A

alexmir

I do realize that at 10 dollars a pound times 50 gallons does not equal 3000, i am being sarcastic at the fact that it is that expensive.

A

alexmir

Originally Posted by schmidthouse
We found our Live Rock on craigslist from some guy that was busting down his tank...110 lbs. for $165.00 if you look around you will be able to find some really great deals

I am going to try and find local people who have torn down their tank and see if i can find a good deal, i added some base rock to my tank and put some live rock on top of it, so hopefully it wont be too much longer until all of it is LR. Thanks for the advice

petjunkie

If it's decent rock $4.99 a pound isn't bad really, up here they want $13/pound for nasty looking base rock and $14 for "purple algea rock"
I bought online for part and got the rest from a guy getting out of the hobby. Watch buying used rock though, sometimes you end up with algea problems and/or pests. I've seen lots for sale with "free anemones" (aiptasia)