Dead Xenia

kynekke

My Xenia died tonight and I don't know if I should get rid of the carcas or leave it and hope that it maybe grows back in a few months?

autotech

ive got much to xenia mine seems to do better close to the lights if your near the dayton area willing give or trade

kynekke

I'm in Utah... there may be a shred of it alive but not much and nothing I can do about it. I did a water change to try and save it and that pushed the thing over the edge and now it's shriveled, grey and hardened.

frankthetank

If it's the pink pulsing xenias... they just die from time to time. Don't know why, but I have seen them die repeatedly... except not in my tank. they continually grow like a weed.

kynekke

No reason that I can tell and my other coral's, fish and inverts are all doing great! He's just... dead =/ So if there's a chance he'll come back do I leave his hard grey body?

snakeblitz33

most xenia grow like weeds! Do not dose strontium or iodide at all and make sure that your temp stays below 79. High temperatures damage most xenia. I frag my xenia and put it in the worst aquarium I have and it did just fine with adequate water movement and feeding.
Don't add anything to your water that you can't measure! When you do water changes, you add the essential vitamins, minerals, and chemicals that your inhabitants need to thrive.

fishy7

Run some carbon. Maybe a chemical war? I have seen mine attack each other. My colonies are pretty big. Mine grows like wild and If you are in the Dallas area, you are welcome to some. Good luck.

socal57che

I think she still lives in Utah. Unless she is a he, then he lives in Utah.
Can you give actual water parameters?

socal57che

I just stole this.............

Scientific Name: Xenia elongata
Classification: Soft Coral
Common Names: Xenia, Pulsating Xenia
Description:
Pulsating Xenia has sturdy stalks up to 3" long which are tan in color. The end of the stalk is covered with a crown of feathery polyps, each carried on a stem approximately 1"-2" long. The polyps open and close in an attractive pulsing or pumping motion. Groups of these stalks form colonies that can spread into large mats. Xenia is one of the few corals that actually smells bad when removed from the water.
Natural Environment:
? Most specimens are captive grown
Care:
Hardiness: Xenia is an interesting family of coral as far as hardiness is concerned. Some hobbyist cannot seem to keep this coral alive and others find it to be a fast growing 'weed' coral. Although there are some guidelines which can be followed to improve the chance of success, no one fully understands what will guarantee success with this coral. Even a colony that has been thriving in a tank for an extended period of time can quickly go into decline and die for no obvious reason.
Lighting: Requires moderate to strong lighting. Usually, brighter is better although some hobbyist appear to have very good success with lower light levels.
Water Current: Xenia require at least moderate water flow. They are one of the few corals that seem content to be right against the strong output of a powerhead. In still waters the pumping usually diminishes and the coral goes into decline.
Temperature: Does well within a range of at least 75º to 83º F. Temperatures around 84º can sometimes appear to cause stress and Xenia appears to be more stable at lower temperatures of 76º - 78º.
Aggressiveness: Low. Xenia does not possess any apparent stinging capability and will not bother other corals, but can tend to grow over and shadow its neighbors. When happy, the coral can reproduce by division at an alarming rate and may require frequent pruning to keep it from crowding out other corals.
Feeding: Xenia is photosynthetic and does not accept any known foods. It is thought that they absorb some of their nutrients directly from the water. In fact, some hobbyist keep large colonies of Xenia as filter beds where the xenia is regularly pruned for nutrient export. It is unclear if this is very effective. Xenia may do better in tanks that are not heavily skimmed.
Supplements: The main supplement normally associated with successfully keeping Xenia is Iodine. Many authors state categorically that iodine supplements are critical to success and lack of iodine supplements will cause xenia to crash. I have keep Xenia with and without iodine supplementation and have observed no difference, so I am more skeptical of the iodine connection. Low Alkalinity levels can cause Xenia pulsing to decrease or cease altogether, so alkalinity levels should be monitored and kept above a minimum of 2.5meq/l.
Tank Positioning: Usually kept high up on the reef for strong water flow and highest possible lighting. Xenia will reproduce in the tank by attaching its stalk against adjacent surfaces it contacts and splitting into two colonies. In this way, Xenia colonies tend to 'walk' in the direction that water movement bends their stocks, so you may want to consider this in your placement. Xenia can usually be coaxed to grow up the back glass of the tank and forms a nice background display.

socal57che

I knew I saw it somewhere............(stole this, too)

"Common names include Pulse Coral, Pom-Pom Xenia, Pumping Xenia, Red Sea Xenia, Blue Xenia, and Pulsing Xenia. Usually a mass of brown, long, yet thin stem flower-like eight tentacle polyps interconnected at the base with colors varying somewhat depending upon geographical location and position in the area of collection. Can reach a height of about six inches or slightly more. Sometimes sensitive to nitrate-nitrogen levels over 5 mg/l. May deteriorate if nitrate-nitrogen levels exceeds 10 mg/l."

puffer32

My trates are undectable but they also shriveled like that and just died. To answer the posters questions, i would cut it to a nub if it isn't already almost that now, and it will grow back. In just a few months mine is now flourishing and i am trading for store credit again.

kynekke

Thanks I'll do that.. it has like 2 waving arms left so when those are gone I'll nub it.
My trates are at 0 btw... same with Amm, trites, and phos.

perfectdark

LMAO funny, my trates are at 15ppm and mine are spreading like wild fire.... well theres the hole in that write up...

shogun323

I had a massive colony of pink pulsing Xenia as well as silver branching Xenia. I did some major cleaning one day as well as a water change and it all died. Personally, I was thrilled. Other friends of mine had their sump/skimmer replaced on their tank which caused them to lose all of theres. Apparently Xenia doesnt like a good deep cleaning.

piscian

Xenia is so touchy. I had it in my tank when I first started out and it flourish for six months and then die for no apparent reason. I since haven't been able to successfully keep it. It's just a weird coral like that.

mx#28

Originally Posted by socal57che
Seems that I read somewhere that xenia doesn't like nitrates.
Xenia are actually found in extremely nutrient rich environments including effluent pipes in the ocean. I've seen them kept in tanks with Nitrate levels well over 100 ppm. Anecdotely, many say that they prefer higher pH and the addition of iodine, but it's unclear how effective htis may be.
With soft corals, I would leave any remnant of it in the tank as it has the ability to grow back.

scsinet

Originally Posted by MX#28
Xenia are actually found in extremely nutrient rich environments including effluent pipes in the ocean. I've seen them kept in tanks with Nitrate levels well over 100 ppm. Anecdotely, many say that they prefer higher pH and the addition of iodine, but it's unclear how effective htis may be.
With soft corals, I would leave any remnant of it in the tank as it has the ability to grow back.
Yep... all evidence I've seen is that well established and maintained tanks seem to have the lowest success rates.
Xenia seems to be to be a dirty water lover. In my obvservations, well maintained high end aquariums usually don't contain them because they just won't stay alive.