Dead Xenia

kynekke

Well oddly enough that makes me feel better, I try to maintain high water quality and do frequent tests and changes if necessary.. however I don't dose with anything so if they like high Iodine I'm guessing mine isn't... whatever's in Reef Crystals is what they get.

socal57che

Originally Posted by socal57che
I knew I saw it somewhere............(stole this, too)

Sometimes
sensitive to nitrate-nitrogen levels over 5 mg/l. May deteriorate if nitrate-nitrogen levels exceeds 10 mg/l."
Not often I get to quote myself.

I had to hunt for this bit of info, but it seemed relevant to the original post.

maxalmon

Xenia IMO likes a dirty tank, well not a dirty looking tank, but one with elevated levels. Ultra clean or sterile tanks cause the xenia to die off. pH is another story, higher pH will cause xenia die off.

nycbob

my tank has thriving sps and is clean. my xenia is thriving too. i disagree xenia likes dirty water.

cgj

Not that im hijacking, but I just bought a piece of rock with two pulsing xenia colonies and theyre all shriveled and dont seem to want to move... its only been about an hour tho. Is this normal the first day?

mmm33732

i just added 9 2-4" thick healthy stalks of xenia and 3 kenyas to my tank a few days ago. by the next morning, they were all shriveled. by the end of the second day, they were all pretty much melted away into pinkish globs.

cgj

Criminy. Considering what I paid for those things, I will cry like a baby if I wake up to a dead colony.