Decorated Rabbit fish

lmforbis

I'm looking at a decorated rabbit fish. Anybody have any experience with them? Are they typically on the peaceful side? My biggest concern is the venom. I'd appreciate any input.

bang guy

I had a similar (and smaller) Siganus virgatus. The venom is similar to a Honeybee sting.

It's not going to attack, you'll only get stung if you move your hand toward it when it's cornered and frightened.

I hand fed mine often without incident.

bang guy

They are omnivores with a preference for algae. They also like broccoli, carrots and stuff like that too but have no problem eating Mysis or Silversides. Very effective against Bubble Algae...

lmforbis

I'm excited I haven't gotten any new fish for quite a while. I also ordered a saddle back butterfly, a tail spot goby, and a fairy wrasse but I can't remember which one. They aren't all going in the same tank but they will be QTed together.

lmforbis

Wasn't sure about the butterfly but it seems like it is worth a try and it wasn't too expensive. My tank has been really stable for months.

lmforbis

My Rabbit fish, butterfly fish and some coral arrived early this morning from DD and LA. I am very pleased with how they were packaged. Fish look good. The rabbit fish is in hiding but I have seen a couple glimpses of him and other than having stress colors he seems good. Here are some pics of the others. Lights aren't on in the tanks yet so this is just ambient light.
IMG_2500.JPG
IMG_2498.JPG
IMG_2497.JPG
IMG_2496.JPG

lmforbis

So far no issues. There has been no aggression from my other fish. not even my maroon clown. He's already picking at the rocks. I didn't put him in my QT with my butterfly. He came from DD where they QT and treat for parasites. It is a risk but I figured the butterfly would do better on its own until I know it eats.

lmforbis

Let me know how the Butterfly does.
The butterfly is doing great. He seems to eat well. I just moved him to my big tank this morning (before the lights came on) and he is swimming all over picking at the rocks. Nobody else seems too interested in him so far. He seems to be choosing to swim with the tang and rabbit fish who are usually found in close proximity to each other.