deep sea yellow gorgonian

A

alix

ive been checking these out are they OK for a 30 gallon? how big do they get? any advice is appreciated!

reefforbrains

Great beginner Gorg. They do NOT require light and are filter feeder and one of the faster growing and hardier gorgs.
They like lots of flow. Like all filter feeding gorgs they need LOTS of food and are very quickly damaged by algea growing on them closing thier polyps and killing them.
Maintain good generic water specs/temp and you should do great. Around 1/4 to 1 inch per month of growth with perfect conditions.
Unknown max size since when diving you can see monsters the size of a small tree, but in aquariums they usually top out around 24 inch. Even thats considered huge for a tank raised Gorg of any species. Most are around 3-8 inch when seen in a home tank.

R

rattler739

I have a 14g bio cube and was thinking about gettin one but if they do get to big for my tank is there anyway to frag pieces off or will it just stop growing?

A

alix

Unknown max size since when diving you can see monsters the size of a small tree
yeah ive been scuba diving in the bahamas and seen purple sea fans that must have been 4 feet! but that was before the hurricane...

A

alix

Like all filter feeding gorgs they need LOTS of food
what do you feed them? im already feeding my tank phytoplankton will this keep them healthy?

alix2.0

bump. hmm my other account isnt working / letting me post... what does peppermint shrimp mean??? lol. anyways, im still researching these and want to get one, so i was wondering 1)what to feed them (is phytoplankton ok?) and 2) is it true they dont nuke if they die? kay thanks!
alix

alix2.0

I have a 14g bio cube and was thinking about gettin one but if they do get to big for my tank is there anyway to frag pieces off or will it just stop growing?
i was also wondering about this... my tank is big enough that they probably wouldnt outgrow it... but i was still wondering if you can frag them! thanks!

coral keeper

Do they need phyto to survive? Do you have to feed them some thing? Are they like feather dusters that don't need phyto to survive and filter the particles out of the water??

alix2.0

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Do they need phyto to survive? Do you have to feed them some thing? Are they like feather dusters that don't need phyto to survive and filter the particles out of the water??

im thinking this might answer your question...
ReefForBrains- Like all filter feeding gorgs they need LOTS of food

dmitry

It's doubtful that your tank will have enough nutrients to keep a gorg well fed. (If you do have enough nutrients you probably also have major algae issues.) So dosing your tank with phytoplankton, or phyto-feast, or marine snow would be good food for it. Just becareful that you don't over-feed - or you will have major algae issues. And the non-photosynthetic gorgs are prone to get covered with algae and die. They need strong water flow.

texasmetal

The Red and Yellow gorgonians you see for sale here are not hardy by any means. They will keep their color though. They need high flow and very low lighting, and lots of food. Honestly, they are most likely doomed in an aquarium. Hair algae will ruin them. It's a shame considering their bright coloration. Do more research on them.
If you want a Gorgonian, go with the purple ones, they are very hardy.

H

huskychasrs

My red deep water seems to go in cycles of feeding and remission(no blooms) so as long as the trunk color is good I wouldn't freak if you don't see blooms every day.

alix2.0

If you want a Gorgonian, go with the purple ones, they are very hardy.
do these nuke? a friend of mine told me that the yellow ones are the only gorgs that dont, and this is, of course, a big concern for me.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by alix2.0
do these nuke? a friend of mine told me that the yellow ones are the only gorgs that dont, and this is, of course, a big concern for me.

I have never heard of such. We have about 8 different Gorg's in our tanks and none of them have ever had any negative effect on the tanks. Now cucumbers on the other hand...

red crab

Yeah I just got a yellow one so we will see how it dose. Lets hope it dose well and I do have some phyto for it so it should be all right.