Deep Six is driving me insane....HELP

Y

yae4volcom

Ok so maybe if you are reading this you think I am pathetic for not being able to use a simple hydrometer but its just giving me different results every time I try and use it. I submerge the huydrometer to the point where the water is slowly flowing over the bar. When its full the arrow is a around.24 and then settles back down at .16-.17
So which on is it? The very first and brief reading or the constant very low level? Sorry for the stupid question:(

armageddon

Make sure there are no bubbles attached to the arm. I used to flick mine a couple times to get the bubbles off. Make sure its at the right water level and just set it down and wait for it to reach a reading.

aarone

i think you need to let the deep six sit with water in it for 24 hours to break it in.
aaron

Y

yae4volcom

ARgggg
I have done a couple tests now and without bubbles it says
.14-.16 I just don't see how this can be right....
Should I add more salt?
Is there any other way I can test the salinity of my water?

tagg

If your mixing the salt and testing the water before the salt has had enough to totaly disolve, you will get screwy readings also.
Tagg____

cprdnick

take the sample to denver and see if it matches to your reading. (unless there's an LFS closer to you.)

stillfrodo

IMO and I have stated this before invest in a decent refractometer. It has also been said on this board that when you get into QT and hyposalinity you are not going to have the accuracy that a refractometer gives. I have seen an excellent one go for around 39 bucks. Again just my opinion but this is not a piece of equiptment where you should be saving a few bucks.

dreeves

Get yourself a couple of glass hydrometers...use them both and average the results...when you get lots of extra cash...get a refractor..

calvindo

mine always have bubbles stuck on the arm. simply just bang it against something :D to get the bubble off the arm

jhc

You may want to check it against another hydrometer. I had problems early on with livestock dying and then checked my hydrometer with one at the LFS and found mine consistently read .7 lower than the others.
JHC

dburr

Glass hydrometers are not accurate either. Both should be tested against a refractometer. Take the swing arm to a LFS and let them show you where the reading is.
Use a marker to mark where your sweet spot is. Recheck it every 6 months or so.
Always tap the side of the swing arm to get the bubbbles out.
HTH, Dan

cindyski

Originally posted by aarone
i think you need to let the deep six sit with water in it for 24 hours to break it in.
aaron

yes, FRESHWATER not salt ;)

aarone

Wait why would you measure FW SG? Or do you let it sit for 24 hours with FW? My lfs just told me to do this if i was going to buy one.
aaron

cindyski

aaron
the package says to fill it i with freshwater for 24 hours before using it.
not to measure FW SG :D

dburr

Glass hydrometers have been around a very, very long time...they can be accurate enough.
Swing arms can be accurate too, if (a big if) you get the right one.;)
They all very to some degree.
Get yourself a couple of glass hydrometers...use them both and average the results..
And, I think tou already agreed with me.:p
Dan