dehumidifer water

bigl21750

Can you use the water from a dehumidifier for your replacments water or is that a bad idea. thanks for the help

phil1964

Interisting first post.
I have thought this too while pouring out the de-h water.
Looks clean. Except there is some brown slime in the container that catches the water. Guess I should clean it.
I don't see why you could not use it but why would you want to?
You taste it first. If you like it the fish will love it.

nas19320

I have heard of people using it without problems but if the condensor coils are made of copper or any other metal than I would not risk it.

beaslbob

Originally posted by bigl21750
Can you use the water from a dehumidifier for your replacments water or is that a bad idea. thanks for the help

I would not recomend this. The dehumidifier probably creates a very small amount of water per day and therefore any measurable amount would have to set around for some time. Contanimants from the container or polution (like cleaning fluids) would leach into the water. Much better to use plain old tap water.

crazy8

I know I wouldn't dare do it. Smell the water. It smells like metal from the coils. Not to mention you would think it would be clean since it was pulled out from the moisture in the air, but guess again. How clean are your coils and your bucket (or whatever you catch it in). I would stick to conditioned tap water before I would do that. Of course I don't have a RO/DI system so I won't even dare recommend something obviously better than I do.