DENITRAYFYING!! How is it accomplished??

moy

I have a 46 Gallon bowfront with 40lbs of Live Sand, Prizim protein skimmer, whisper mechanical filter and 2 wk old 100 gallon Wet/Dry filter bio-ball filter; not sure exactly how many lbs of live rock but several large rocks (maybe 30-50lbs).
So with my setup how do i Exactly get the DENITRAYFYING Process going in my tank?? What do i need to do??
Please give advice!! :eek: :confused:

ocellaris_keeper

There are a whole lot if different ways. I would say buy a bag of ***** live sand (20 lbs) and one piece of cured live rock (5 lbs worth)and the introduction of these things will cycle the tank for you.
I went ahead and purchased 1lb per gall of live rock, some live sand, threw it in my tank and it cycled on it's own, without introducting any troublesome fish. The die off on the rock will help cycle your tank.
You will need 4" of Deep and bed and 1 lb per gallon of live rock for your bacterial filter if you plan on running the Berlin method. :rolleyes:

moy

Would there be any problem with adding any NEW Live sand over the the existing live sand that i've had in there for months??

mlm

I think that BUD ON TAP is confused about what you are trying to say. YOu want to know how to get rid of Nitrates. I think that your tank is already cycles if it is a few month old. Let me know if I am right.

mlm

If you have to add sand to get the DSB it is okay to add live sand just mix it up a little but if you are going to add dead sand try and get most of it on the bottom of the live sand.

mlm

Your wet/dry filter may be a source of Nitrate if you let organic matter build up in it.