Derasa Clam getting picked on

gill again68

Ok so didnt know if this would be or the fish section would be a better place to post this but I put it here so lets get on with it.
My Coral Beauty has taken an interest to my clam. Nipping at it from time to time. The clam will open and seems to only open 3/4 of the way. Most of the fish I have swim close to it but dont bother it. Still it retracts because of the movement.
[list type=decimal]
[*]
So will this hurt the clam over time? Obviously if a fish nips it but what about the 3/4 stuff?
[*]
Is it possible to train the fish not to do this?
Should I put a guard around the clam for a while or will the fish just go back to picking at it once the guard is removed?
Do I get rid of the Coral Beauty?
[/list type=decimal]
Let me know what you think. I don't want to get rid of a fish but I think if the choice had to be made then the fish would probably go before the clam.

S

saxman

Most Centropyge sp. feed on the mucous layer from a clam's mantle. If your fish has taken a liking to your clam, you pretty much have a choice: the fish or the clam, as the constant picking will indeed stress the clam to an early demise.

gill again68

Well thats no fun. I dont know how often it occurs due to the fact that I work and the fish is at home so.... I can say that I dont see the fish picking all the time. When I do see the fish go after it then it looks like its straight at the flesh. I guess I will keep an eye out and if it comes to it then bye bye fishy.
Thanks for the note.