Derasa Clam hosting an anemone?

1journeyman

So my two Occ. Clowns are beginning to pair up. The bigger is growing faster and has taken up residence in my BTA. This morning, while lights are still off I noticed my smaller clown was dancing and rubbing himself on my clam. Now, 2 hours later, he's laying right in it.
My question is has anyone seen this before? Why didn't the clam close up?
Edit: Pics coming this evening.

L

lbaskball

cool. Never seen that happen. But I have heard that some fish lay eggs inside a clam and once they do, the fish will swim away ..and the eggs will hatch and you'll get small fish comming out from the clam. I saw this on the discovery channel.

mscarpena

I have heard of this before and you have to be careful. If the fish is not irritating the clam you are ok. I would discourage this becuase even though it is not irritating the clam now it may in the future. In the future it maybe harder to get the fish to find a new home once established.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by mscarpena
I have heard of this before and you have to be careful. If the fish is not irritating the clam you are ok. I would discourage this becuase even though it is not irritating the clam now it may in the future. In the future it maybe harder to get the fish to find a new home once established.
Ya, I'm not for it at all. Just not sure how to stop it. I'm amazed the clam stayed open. Normally it's really jumpy.

mscarpena

In my opion the best way to stop it would be to get a clear 2 liter pop bottle and leave the cap off of it. Put it over the clam and cut slits in it so the clam still get the light, water movement, and food that it needs. The fish will not be able to get at the clam and will look for a new and safer home. Hopefully your clam is in some sort of substrate. Try it out and just keep an eye on the clam, but should not harm it. Good luck.