Desperation! About to give up. Help!!

Ok. I'm willing to start from the beginning and redo everything in my tank. But I need guidance. If I take out the undergravel filter, the lady salesman says I need some other form of biological filter. I don't know how to get things going with a strong lighting system. I can't afford right now to buy another larger tank and even though I have replaced the light that came with the original canopy, it still does not give the light that I need to grow the coraline algae and other corals that I really want in my tank. Please can anyone offer a solution that is workable for my current situation? I don't want an unattractive hood system and just honestly don't know enough about the carpentry to create anything.

viper_930

I think the sales person is talking about a plenum system or a deep sand bed. Do a search around the web or here and you should find lots of info of both and can choose which one you want.
As for the light, check out this place: http://www.hellolights.com/

sagxman

Ok. Here's a few solutions that will hopefully relieve some stress for you.
Go with a hang on back filter. Most aren't that expensive and it will be better than under gravel. As far as lighting, if you stick with a 50/50 bulb in your NO hood you should be able to keep fish and possibly some low light corals. The corals may not thrive though. Take your time on the lighting. Save some money back and buy the best light system you can. Eventually you'll be able to get that and the corals you want. But with limited funds (as I had when I started this hobby) you can't do everything all at once. And the reality is, it can take a long time to get your tank looking like some of the beautiful tanks you will see on this website. It also takes patience. So, don't be in such a hurry for your coraline growth and nice corals. Enjoy the experience.

overanalyzer

For biological filtration I'd suggest getting some live rock. Get ride of the fake stuff in your tank. Start out with a FOWLR tank - fish only with live rock.
Put the rocks in after you take out the undergravel filter and crushed coral. Put some sand in there instead (lookes more natural and helps with som biological filtration).
Get some good "colored" rock for your tank. Pick out some unique pink and purple pieces. Those colors will spread to your tank and the coraline will grow on its own.
Someone mentioned a HOB filter. I use tetra tec's with the built in heater option - they are a bit noisier then most but I like saving space on the heater not being in the tank.
Get a good stable tank going with a fish or two in it and save money for the lights.
Last point - I don't think your table will support the tank long term. I had a 20 tall on my kid's dresser and the dresser's top drawer stopped opening. The tank was slowly crushing the dresser - but when I removed the 20 the wood did not look like it was dented .... so that meant the whoe structure was sinking not just the top. I'd look into a metal stand ... or re-inforce that decorative table with 2x4's!
HTH

sagxman

overanalyzer made some very valid points. I couldn't tell from the picture that you didn't have real rock in your tank. Yes, get some live rock and live sand. This is your biological filtration. Many HOB - Hang on back - filters provide mechanical and biological filtration. With the proper amount of live rock and sand, and a good HOB filter (I like biowheel filters, the wheel harbors bacteria that provide the biological filtration) you should have a good filtration system.
I also agree with going fish only for a while. However, keep in mind if you want to have coral in the future still that you need to selecet the right fish from the beginning. Don't get a fish that will eat all of your coral as soon as you put in. Some fish suggestions, IMO, for your size tank are:
6 Line Wrasse
Bicolor Blenny
Percula Clown
Long Nose Hawk
Pygmie Angel
These are just suggestions, don't do ALL of these. But pick 2 or three and do some research because some will do better with others.
I have a 20 gallon with a 6 Line Wrasse, Maroon and Gold Stripped Clown, and a Bicolor Blenny. That pretty much maxes me out on fish for my bioload.
I wish you luck and hope you don't give up.