Determing which Salt????!!!!

newbietina

What is the best basis to determine which seasalt to use? :help: To many to choose from. Currently I have a FOWLR :happyfish and am going to put in an anemone for my clown and have a green star polyps...so I guess its now a reef?, anyway.....should it be a survey? If so, where is the survey on the threads, when I type in salt...it comes up with so many pages and being here at work, I can only piss away so much time
:notsure:
Thanks in advance for your help. My email is also tcpope at charter net
Tina

quads4_lif

Almost any are good it more prefrence. I would use reef crystals by Instant ocean. But every body has an opinion on what they think is best. It can be a hot discussion, but they are all fairly good

1journeyman

Yup, everyone has opinions and preferences.
Test your mixed water (after you have aerated it for several hours) for pH, Calcium, Alk., and Magnesium. I think those are the chief complaints some folks have with various salt brands.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by chadman
i stand behind tropic marin pro reef....others may have other opinions....
Definitely heard good things about that one.

lion_crazz

You will pretty much just have to try a bunch of salts and pick which one you like the most, makes your tank look the nicest, and gives you the best levels of the four things Journeyman1 mentioned.
I, myself, love Oceanic and have used it for 3 years. However, before that, I switched from Crystal Sea, Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, Sera, and Coralife. I did like Tropic Marin when I used that as well, but it was too expensive for my wallet. I got the same results from Oceanic at $10 cheaper.

shogun323

I am a fan of Tropic Marin Pro myself. I saw that you mentioned you are new and want an amemone. First of all, Welcome to the message boards!!!!! On another note, anemones should be in a established tank and require strong lighting such as metal halide to survive.