Diary of a breeding Clowns

aquatic art

I am also researching raising the larva. There is alot of discussions but none of them tell you how much rotifers to feed the larva. Raising the larva and green water is time consuming. If you are like me and busy, wait until you can be ready for the work and have the supplies ready, my guys are on day 5 of their current spawn see pic. I have compiled a shopping list:
Need 2 Bags of Rotifers
600,000 rotifers:each
link:
http://www.reed-store.com/?category=...oductid=RSK-5M
Regular Price: $40.00
100 to 300 mm size
Food for Rotifer
http://www.reed-store.com/?category=...ductid=RD-SM:1
One 6 oz bottle should work for 40 to 70 days of feeding
Add enough Rotifer Diet to maintain a light greenish tan color (light lime green to olive green) between feedings. Typically this will be 2 (See Color Chart attached)
Brine Shrimp eggs
http://www.reed-store.com/?category=62&subcategory=45
Feed them after 5th day with Rotifers until day 10
Green Water (phyto-feast)
http://www.reed-store.com/?category=...ductid=PFC-MED
Feed them while the eggs are laid and while rotifers are in the tank
Now Directions: Please note I have got my eggs to hatch but not live yet! My guys spawn every 10 to 12 days. and This is the 3rd time I have tried to raise them this year. I prefer to buy supplies from Reef Nutrition rather than mess with the green water stuff.
First: Put a ceramic tile were they have laid their eggs after this round is gone. Lay the tile so they will lay the eggs on the course side of the tile.
Once the larva's eyes turn bright silver they will hatch the next day. I chose to move them to a 29 gallon nano accross the room from my Display tank. This tank should be Identical in everyway to your display tank, Temp, all water levels and little less lighting. No Filtration only an airstone and a foam filter with something for them to hide in or around, ( use live rock ) Place the tile above the airstone so larva stays oxgenated.
Time for Heavy dose of green water
While your waiting for them to Hatch get your rotifer ready:
Starting your culture of ROTIFERS
1. Put the bag of rotifers in a 5gal bucket of Clean Saltwater at 78-90degrees and .19sal to allow it to slowly warm up.
2. Wait 5 minutes then open the bag and add the rotifer starter culture (2 Bag = 1.2m rotifers)
3. Add 30 drops of Reef Nutrition Rotifer Diet
4. Add Phyto feast daily but wait at least 3 days before starting to harvest them.
Daily
• Rotifer Diet to maintain a light green color between feedings. Typically this will be 2-3 ml's daily per million rotifers.
• Harvest at least 33% of your culture each day.
Harvesting Your Rotifers to feed Fish Larvae
1. Turn off your airstone for 2-3 minutes. This will allow the detritus to settle and the rotifers will float to the top.
2. Harvest as many rotifers as you need by gently scooping them off the top of your tank.
3. If you have a reef tank place the harvest in the Display tank until you need them for the larva
4. If you don't have a reef tank you will periodically need to clean your culture tank to prevent the detritus levels from building up and causing ammonia.
5. Replace water removed with same amount of water from the display tank.
You can place extra's in your display tank!
Now they have hatched I have had about 1/3 of them hatch last time.
They will look like little ghosts floating around.
Days 1-4
Feed them Green Water and Rotifers 2x a day for the first 4 Day, the light cycle should be the same as your display tank.
Days 4-10 (NOW YOU ON ON HOME STREACH)
Feed them Green Water, Rotifers and introduce Brine Shrimp Eggs
Day 10-20
Feed them Rotifers and Brine Shrimp Eggs and introduce froze brine or what you feed the display tank.
I hope this helps it is a quick example that I have researched and am working on myself.

reef feeder

Great post

In would have emailled or PM'd you this but I can't find out how to do either via this site, nor can I find any mods or admins to email regarding this

I work at Reed Mariculture (Reef Nutrition) and we just finally traced some errors occurring in our web store from the truncated links in your post. Any chance I could get you to change your links into a hyper-link so the URL doesn't get truncated?
Could you cut and paste these into yours, then I'll delete this message?
Reed-Store.com - 600K Rotifers
www.Reed-Store.com - Rotifer Diet 6oz
www.Reed-Store.com - Artemia GSL 85%
www.Reed-store.com - Phyto-Feast Premium 16oz
Reef Nutrition
Reed Mariculture Inc
I really appreciate it and if you contact me via our website I'll send you something for helping us solve this problem

A

alexmir

there is supposed to be NO selling or advertising on these boards. I sent a PM to a mod to delete the posts