Diatom Bloom?

manycolors

My tank has been set up for 1 1/2 months, i have had Diatoms growing for about the last week and i was wondering how long this is exspected to go on in a new tank?

m0nk

Depends on a bunch of factors. Do you have a cleanup crew? If so, they'll help clean it up a bit. Also, flow helps too. Just be patient, it will go away in time, there's just no real way to know how long that will actually be. Generally, my own diatom blooms went away within a couple weeks after the cycle was finished.... that's the real beginning to the countdown, not just how long the tank has been running.

manycolors

1 1/2 months, should i add a clean up crew? what would be a couple good ones to start out with?
1-false perc
2-Domino Damsels (going back this weekend, i learned how agresive they are and i also found out it will be better in the long run, they pick on my clown o lot) also what is appropriate for a current?
ph-8.3
Temp-79
SG-1.025 (Refract.)
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10
Live sand
Live rock comes next week, for now i have things set up so they can establish teritiry and hide

m0nk

Well, it depends on what size tank. There are a couple "standards" that most people get, such as some type of shrimp (I have 3 different types, but you should probably go with either peppermint or cleaner), several different types of snails (again, I have some Astrea, some Margarita, some Cerith, some Nassarius), and maybe some hermit crabs or some other type of invertebrate algrea/detritus eater. If you go by the 1 cleaner per gallon, that'll be a good place to start, though some have many many more, and some have quite a few less.
As far as flow, get powerheads that will give you about 10x - 15x turnover. Turnover is calculated by the gallons per hour divided by the tank size. So, if you have a 55 gallon, and want 15 x turnover, you would want powerheads that would give you a total desired flow around 825. It's also best to split that up with at least 2 powerheads, one on each end, so you can have the flow more circulating, rather than hitting one general spot and spreading. To do this, you would face the powerheads at each other and turn the flow valve to go towards opposite corners.

m0nk

Oh,
Also, be careful when adding the live rock, it could start a new cycle. You might want to "cure" it in another tank. Curing is when you add the live rock to a tank with water only and test the water as if it's going through a new cycle. Once you see any spikes, and end up with the ammonia and nitrite at 0 and nitrate low, it's cured.

manycolors

Monk,
One more question about water movement, the way i read it you want to set up a... whirlpool effect? is that correct?
(and i do happen to have a 55 gal.)
Thanks for the help

m0nk

Originally Posted by ManyColors
Monk,
One more question about water movement, the way i read it you want to set up a... whirlpool effect? is that correct?
(and i do happen to have a 55 gal.)
Thanks for the help
That's the easiest and most effective way to do it, yes. Best of luck!