Diatom control

I

intdes

I recently switched tanks due to the old one leaking. I moved the existing sand from the old to the new as it's only been in the tank for about 6 months. I did vacuum the sand during the switchover. I added only about 4 of 8 pieces of rock as before the leak there was a huge hair algae outbreak. Before discovering the leak, I had turned out the lights on the old tank and the hair algae died out.
Today, I noticed Diatoms on the sand. I tested the water today and ammonia, nitrites and phosphate are 0 and nitrates is very low (at highest, it might be 10). pH is 8.2-8.4, KH is 8 (it is always about 8), calcium is 385
I have been keeping a saltwater tank for about 7 years now, I know that diatoms will suck up the nitrates and phosphate, but I tested the phosphate after completely filling the tank and it was 0.
My question is this - Is the diatoms a left over result of the hair algae? I do have about 6 hermit crabs in the tank (mostly blue legged), an emerald crab and one nassarius snail. I know I need more snails and that will be my first thing I add to fight the diatoms. Any recommendations on a selection of snails to add? Should I turn the UV sterilizer on?
My long term goal with the tank is to add a pair of seahorses.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by intdes http:///t/395437/diatom-control#post_3520596
I recently switched tanks due to the old one leaking. I moved the existing sand from the old to the new as it's only been in the tank for about 6 months. I did vacuum the sand during the switchover. I added only about 4 of 8 pieces of rock as before the leak there was a huge hair algae outbreak. Before discovering the leak, I had turned out the lights on the old tank and the hair algae died out.
Today, I noticed Diatoms on the sand. I tested the water today and ammonia, nitrites and phosphate are 0 and nitrates is very low (at highest, it might be 10). pH is 8.2-8.4, KH is 8 (it is always about 8), calcium is 385
I have been keeping a saltwater tank for about 7 years now, I know that diatoms will suck up the nitrates and phosphate, but I tested the phosphate after completely filling the tank and it was 0.
My question is this - Is the diatoms a left over result of the hair algae? No I do have about 6 hermit crabs in the tank (mostly blue legged), an emerald crab and one nassarius snail. I know I need more snails and that will be my first thing I add to fight the diatoms. Any recommendations on a selection of snails to add? None the hermits will kill for there shells and for food and fun Should I turn the UV sterilizer on? Wont help with diatom
My long term goal with the tank is to add a pair of seahorses. Then you don't want crabs, they will kill your Horses.
In time the diatom will go away on it own. You stirred up the sand and caused a short cycle which caused the diatom bloom. Just have patience.

I

intdes

Thank you for the assurance. Seahorses have been pushed out a bit as I need a chiller and its not in the budget for now. I bought some snails today (they are bigger than the hermits) and a scooter dragonet. It will give me something to watch until the chiller is in place. The crabs will be removed before seahorses are ordered. Thanks again!