Diatom Powder okay for live rock/corals?

R

randy 12

Still struggling with green/cloudy water. All that is in the tank now is live rock but will be putting in corals and putting the 3 fish back in when this bloom clears.
Is it okay to run a Magnum 350 with diatom powder in it or will it harm the live rock or future corals?
Also, if I do this should I turn off the skimmer or leave it on?
Thanks!

what is diatom powder? I don't think that I would add diatoms to my tank ever.

R

randy 12

It's a white powder for the canister filters that binds small particles (like free floating algae that causes green water) and clears up cloudy or green water. I know it's safe for fish only but not sure about reef.

Sorry I can't be of much help . . . I have never heard of such a product. Is it carbon?

R

randy 12

No. Carbon filters out medications, odors, some water discoloration and polishes the water.

beaslbob

For everyone's information, Diatomous earth is a very fine powder used in filters to polish the water. It is not used much any more because it is a lung irritant and may cause cancer.
To answer randy's question directly, Yes a diatomous earth powder filter will clean the water and in a relatively short time. As will canister filters with the water polisher cartridage. And if you change nothing, the green water will come back after you turn off the filter.
Until you establish plant life you desire to consume the nutrients the green water is currently consuming, you will continue to have various algae related problems. The only other fool proof way of eliminating algae is to turn your lights off and/or remove all living organisms.

R

randy 12

Have grape caulerpa in there now. This was an existing FO tank for about 4 months then live rock, protein skimmer, caulerpa, and miracle mud were added about 1 to 2 weeks ago. VHO lighting is only on 4 hours a day and fuge lighting is 24/7. Green water still exists. Did a 10% water change Friday with no change in green water and have always used RO/DI.
Also, had the green water one time when a water change was done with tap water but helped my friend hook up the magnum with micron filter and did a 10% water change with RO/DI and green water disappeared. But as soon as we added the live rock, caulerpa, etc. the green water returned.

clarkiiboi

I have one of those I use only in my freshwater tanks, I often wondered if it's safe to use in a reef also. I am thinking for some reason or another its not, only cause I never seen it mentioned. Bump for you to see if others have tried it or heard as to why not.

azonic

My LFS uses a Diatom filter on all of his SW tanks once a week when he cleans them. As well as on his 80G and 180G SW displays.

dbgt

diatom filters will cause only two problems it may remove massive amounts of phytoplankton by screening them out from your tank and other small benificial animals. also will cause a slight period of nuisance algae that live off of silicates from the diatom powder. there may be a risk of this algae growing on sponges and suffocating them!!!!!!!!:yes: :yes: :yes: