Diatoms Diatoms More Diatoms

ovrmyhdagn

I have had trouble with diatoms for 5 months atleast.
I use RO/DI water, I increased the flow in my tank with a maxijet 1200.
I changed out all my LR and removed my crushed coral and put in sand from an established tank. My lightbulbs were changed last week. I only feed once per day. I do have a heavy bioload at the moment.
Any ideas? I been thinking about the nassarius snails.

lion_crazz

Nassaurius snails are great for sand beds.
Can you list your nitrate level for us?
How about the phosphate and silicate level of your RO/DI water.

lion_crazz

Get a phosphate and silicate test kit and test the water that it puts out for you to use on your tank.
When was the last time the RO/DI membranes were changed?

ovrmyhdagn

Right at a year, but I have only been using the ro water recently, before I was getting it from walmart which has been known to be poor quality.
Kent marine maxxima

B

beap59

I have the same problem use ro water and a uv sterilizer also. Did water change same problem any help? I have a 92 gal corner tank with wet dry filter. Had tank going on 7 years.

lion_crazz

What is your nitrate level?
What is the phosphate and silicate level of your RO unit?
When was the last time your membrane was changed in the RO unit?

swim

Yeah I had problems when I first started my tank, Now my clean up crew is doing a great job, the snails mentioned before are great, as well as some turbos and I have a bunch of crabs. the sand is amost totally clean, It could get a little better, but the LR is looking great! So my suggestion to you is get your nitrates is good order if they arent already and get a crew, or get some more!!

B

beap59

Had water tested phosphates were less than .25 ph level 8.2 and the amonia and nitrates were ok. also the ro unit is new.

rcdude1990

i did my first water change and now there is diatoms growing very little but b4 i had to clean the glass everyday i did a water change on sunday and i havent cleand the glass yet