Diatoms? what can i do

rainn626

is this diatoms? my tank is fairly new(about a couple monts ago i started to cycle) this brown stuff has been in there since my lvls started coming down from the cycle. my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are around <.25, .25 and 20 after a water change. i also switched from tap to ro/di. is there anything i can do or do i jus have to wait it out.(seems like a long time already)

pangdonger

Mine did the same thing after about a week. I was told to use a turkey baster to flush it out of the sand and off of the lr and that the bloom was normal. It worked for me, but I am new to salt and some of the experts on here may have better ideas and reasons why.

chinpokomon

I’m pretty sure your diatom bloom was caused by your tapwater less than 1% of the tapwater in the US is clean enough to mix straight from the tap. Your starter water was probably high in silicates and phosphates (diatom food). It will take 3 to 6 months for your new DI/RO water will start to take effect.

aztec reef

Rain, I would do a large water change with ro/di then keep up with regular water changes with ro/di and just ride it out...

mochabob

Just wait it out, all new tanks look like that. Plus if your levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are still above 0 than it is still cycling. don't do a water change that will likely start the cycle over again. When you started your cycle did you put a couple of dead shrimp in the tank to start the cycle?

marka1620

I have a minor diatom outbreak...mostly on my glass. Picked up a couple of black turbo snails and they are slowly cleaning it.

rainn626

i used a dead shrimp for like 2 days to start the cycle. i did do a big water change 2 wks ago when i switched over, no signs of it cycling again(hopefully it wont). i got 5 turbo snails and this morning they did a good job at moving the sand around.
thank all of you for your input it's greatly appreciated. i now feel more confident about whats goin on in my tank.